College Students, You Have 3 Options This Summer: Work, Relax, Or A Combination Of Both

Finishing finals and getting to relax after months of (hopefully) hard work is a luxury, and it's essential to make the most of your few months home.

95
Kayla Master

Coming home from college for the summer is one of the sweetest reliefs for many college students across the country. Finishing finals and getting to relax after months of (hopefully) hard work is a luxury, and it's essential to make the most of your few months home. However you want to take advantage of your time, however, is completely up to you.

Most college students, including myself, use their few months home as a few-month window to work as much as possible to start the fall semester with some money to pay the bills. Whether it's an internship, local job, or any other summer gig, working over the summer is a quintessential summer requirement for many students. Whatever you do, make the most out of that experience by working hard and trying to make a positive impact, even if you hate the job and are doing it just for the resume boost or extra cash. Try not to overdo yourself and still enjoy your summer, however. Speaking from experience, fulltime work plus travel can easily exhaust you and make your summer a workaholic one.

On the other hand, you may be able to take the summer off to enjoy yourself. Especially after your freshmen year, when it's harder to get a more professional internship, students may benefit from the summer off after an exhausting freshman year in preparation for a fresh start for sophomore year. If money is less of an object for the fall, taking the summer to relax and unwind may have high benefits. Go to the beach, read some good books, and catch up with hometown friends you haven't got to spend time with the last few months.

The best summer may be a combination of the two options. Some work with some play may be the happy medium that you're looking for in order to have the most ideal summer. Having the opportunity to take some time for yourself while still working and making some extra money is the route that I'm taking this summer, and I'm looking forward to the chance to have a happier, more fulfilling summer for both my professional and personal lives.