8 Reasons Why Winter Is Better Than Summer

While we're all counting down to the warmth, we should be counting back to the cold.
26217

Warm weather is right around the corner, and this means a lot of things. Picnics, bonfires, hikes through the park and the quick approach of summer. After months of cold, dreary days, finally sunshine is on the horizon. However, with the sunshine comes sweat, the inescapable smell of bonfire smoke, and the return of bugs. Here is a concise list of reasons why winter is superior to summer.

1. The Sports

Being outside in the summer is fun, especially when the warmth makes it so pleasant. However, being outside in the sun too long can lead to exhaustion, heatstroke or sunburn. Being outside in the winter involves sledding, skiing, ice skating and snowball fights. You stay cool and still have fun doing it. There is only so much you can do to stay cool in the summer, but it’s easy to have fun in the winter when there are so many things to do without ever breaking a sweat.

2. The Clothes

While we all love the simplicity of a comfy T-shirt and shorts, the best clothing is fuzzy clothing. Winter means fluffy sweaters and thick socks. The possibilities of summer outfits are very limited, but the amount of outfits that can come out of a sweater, cardigan, jean or legging combination are endless. While a summer wardrobe can be simple, you can add new life to jeans or a blouse by adding a cardigan or boots, something impossible in the summer heat. The cold winter weather allows for layering that would never be possible in the summer.

3. Seasonal Symptoms

In the winter, dry skin and sickness are the worst result of the cold weather. In the summer, sunburn, sweat, hay fever and humidity all mess with every part of the body. Static-y hair has nothing on humidity. And sweaty skin beats dry skin any day. The heat constrains you and makes you feel like 800 pounds are weighing on your shoulders. In addition to the 800 pounds of humidity, there is no easy way to get rid of it, besides standing in front of a fan. The seasonal symptoms of the winter are nothing compared to the brutal and inescapable heat of summer.

4. Winter Break vs. Summer Break

While summer break does involve a long vacation from school, often it’s filled with job searches and preparation for the following year. There is time to spend a day at the beach or lounge on the couch, but for the most part, these weeks of summer are for making money and gaining experience in order to succeed in the future. Winter break is a month of relaxing, eating cookies, and spending time with family. The stress of school is off for a while, and you can take some time for yourself.

5. Television and Movies

In the summer, there are a few great blockbuster movies. However, in the winter, there are countless movies and TV specials, specifically around the holidays. Multiple options for entertainment exist during the winter season, as opposed to in the summer when there is no new television until the fall and very few entertaining movies.

6. The Food

Barbecue food is pretty good, but burgers and hot dogs can get old pretty quick. In the winter, the possibilities are endless. There are countless soup combinations and warm drinks to fill you up and warm your body and soul.

7. Activities

When it’s warm outside, there is a constant pressure to go out and enjoy the weather. In the winter, it’s perfect alright to stay in for a day or two. Or a week. The summer means a constant stream of activities because the weather allows it. In the winter there is no pressure to go out or be social because we all love to stay in and enjoy the warmth or get a group of people together for a movie night.

8. The Bugs

This one explains itself. There are no bees stinging you in winter. There are no mosquitoes biting you in winter. There are no gnats buzzing around you in winter. Winter is a bug-free haven.

So while we anticipate the summer, let us also look fondly back on our time during the winter and patiently await the time to trade our sunburn for windburn.