What 'Suicide Squad' Gets Right — And What It Doesn't

The pros and cons of DC's anti-hero flick.

15
Shadow and Act

Warning: This review contains some Spoilers!

This is an opinionated review of the newest DC movie, "Suicide Squad." This review is meant only for entertainment and shouldn't be taken serious. For those who don't know of "Suicide Squad," the basic premise involves a team of expendable criminals, forced together by the U.S. government to try and handle situations that would be too sensitive or dangerous for normal people. I won't put an out-of-10 rating because I feel that those rating don't do justice in the review of a movie whether its better or worse than expected. I'm going to just go over the positives and negatives i find and let you, the readers decide.

Positives:

Soundtrack

The "Suicide Squad" soundtrack was a well made collection. The songs are specifically made for the movie, "Sucker for Pain" and "Heathens," along with the added songs like "Without Me" by Eminem, it made some of the movie scenes more interesting.

Character events

The movie introduces some of it's characters in an interesting way. Ignoring some the dialogue that took place in these scenes the scenes themselves were pretty cool. Deadshot showing off his incredible marksmanship, Harley Quinn showing her crazy, and a scene of diablo unleashing his power.

Comedy

Parts of the movie were really funny. Every funny scene involved either Deadshot or Harley Quinn, but nevertheless, the movie had it's funny moments.

Negatives:

The villain

Great comic book movies have great heroes and action scenes that are so cool that they can coverup a lacking villain (Marvel's "Deadpool"). Others have a villain that is so impactful to the movie that it makes the overall movie better (The Joker from "The Dark Knight"). Some movies have both ("The Avengers"). That being said, the "Suicide Squad" villains weren't as good as they could have been. Watching the movie, it became apparent early on who the villain would be. That would have been fine if we actually got more from the villain. What makes villains like the Joker, Loki and even Ultron great were the fact that the movie went into their background so we could understand them as well as they had some depth as characters. They were funny, narcissistic and original — "Suicide Squad" villains were set up to control or destroy the world like most other villains.

Dialogue

This is what I disliked most about the movie. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I felt most of the world didn't match what the character would actually say. Like Deadshot saying, "You jokers must be kidding." Maybe it's a pun or maybe it's to refrain from cursing since the movie is only PG-13, but if the latter is true, the PG-13 rating limited the how great the movie could have been. Joker could have been crazier, Deadshot wouldn't have censored himself with puns. Also, I get that a bigger cast would in some cases mean that some characters talk less, but with majority of the cast (i.e. Katana, Killer Croc, and the Enchantress) having very few lines it would seems ridiculous that most of our dialogue would come from a handful of characters. That being said, Harley Quinn had some great lines, when she said, "What was that? I should kill everyone and escape? Sorry, it's the voices. Ahaha, I'm kidding! That's not what they really said," I died laughing.

Overall Thoughts:

This movie won't be in my top ten comic book movie. I feel as though it could have been better if more characters got the spotlight. This isn't a Marvel movie of course, but for right now Marvel is setting the tone for the comic book movies and DC is trying to catch up, but I feel they are rushing it. DC are great at telling stories, and when their ready to slow it down and focus not on catching up to Marvel, but telling their own story, movies like the upcoming Justice League will be legendary to say the least. "Suicide Squad" has it's moments, but for the most part I can't be more appreciative of the movie.