Students Of America, I'm So Sorry

Students across America,

I'm so sorry.

I'm sorry living in fear is now the new norm for you. Your school should be a place for growth, knowledge, friends, and safety — now it's a mine field. Bullies have always been a part of school, but the stakes have risen.

It seems there's a new shooting every month, and each time we're left pulling our hair.

"What do we do?" we ask.

I'm so sorry there isn't a clear answer yet.

The conversation is endless, but the solution has yet to show up. We could talk about locking the doors and stricter gun laws, but it's harder when the threat is already walking the halls.

You deserve answers. You deserve to walk your own halls without fear.

I'm sorry you have to keep hearing his name.

The shooter's name is continuously splashed all over the news, giving him the recognition he wanted. He wanted his story told, and the news is giving him just that.

Furthermore, I'm so sorry that technology is showing so much. You shouldn't open Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and Instagram, only to see your friends and family dying. You shouldn't have to feel like you need to record the violence.

You're so young. Nobody should have to live like this, but children are supposed to be ensured safety.

It's OK to be angry. In fact, you should be. You should be furious at what this world has come to. However, please don't let your anger fuel hate. Hate fuels more violence, and is the furthest thing from moving forward.

It's OK to be scared. I'd be more concerned if you weren't, but please don't let this fear consume you. If you were to stop living your life as you would any other day, the enemy wins. The hate that fueled the initial gunfire triumphs.

You deserve safety and security. You deserve to walk through your school with your grades as your only care, but the world has changed and it's time to adapt.

With that said, you have the power to find your peace. You may be young, but you are smart, brave and resilient.

Lift your head high and live.

Asking for help isn't a weakness; it's a strength. Talk to your school counselor, a friend, a parent or someone you trust about what you're feeling. If you're feeling bullied or unsafe, find someone who can help you.

If you see suspicious activity (i.e. someone in a trench coat or weapon), don't be afraid to say something to someone. It's better to report your concerns and be wrong than to not say anything and be right.