Struggling During The Holidays

To Be Honest, Christmas Is One Of The Times I Struggle The Most, Here's How I Handle It

It's the most wonderful time of the year, right?

11
My most worrisome issue is gift giving. We all struggle with what to give the people we care about. We have to think about what they are going to get us, how much to spend and if they will like it. You can know people your whole life and not know what to buy them this Christmas.
My trick is that I use something that they like, no matter how small it is and make a gift out of it. For instance, one of my friends loves pineapples, so I got her pineapple lights. Even inside jokes make great gifts — an avocado can be a hilarious present for the person, even if no one else understands it.
With the parties, work, and for most of us, finals, we don't know where to find the time to buy gifts. How do I go shopping for 10 people when I don't even have time to eat? It can become really stressful and it is important to stay calm. Writing a daily checklist and making schedules can help. If all else fails the simplest thing to do is to shop online. If you're really in a hurry, Amazon Prime is always there.
My least favorite part of the holidays are family reunions. There are always people in the family we struggle to get along with. Seeing them again might even be the most dreaded part of the holidays. However, it is important to remember that they are family and if you get through these interactions, it'll be another year until you have to see them again.
Also, even though I know its hard, try not to react and get into arguments. It will not only hurt your evening, but it will affect the rest of the family, as well.
Lastly, the issue of money. Most people tend to overspend during the holidays and run out of money faster than expected. As a penniless college student, I have fallen victim to this trap very often and the consequences are very harsh. I suggest buying gifts for only the people you are very close with and if you have a lot of close friends, have a set budget person you cannot exceed.

I wish you all the best this holiday season.