The Struggles Of an Over Stretched College Student.

The struggle is real, but the struggle is worth it.

67
Huffington Post

My name is Erica Lissner and if you talked to any of my close family or friends they would probably tell you I'm at least a little bit crazy. I live a hectic life style and am always on the go, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I currently am a full-time college student, a division III college ice hockey player, as well as an employee at a local restaurant in the town I go to school in.I am extremely busy at all times.

My main focus is on school. School is part of the reason I stretch myself so thin. I'm the ultimate procrastinator. With school, hockey, and work, procrastinating is not an option. I give myself minimal free time in order to make sure that free time is used productively. I take 16 credit hours which means on average I'm in the classroom for about 9 and a half hours every week. With each of these hours comes an average of an hour of homework. This nearly doubles my classroom time a week. These hours I spend in the library thanks to a study hall requirement my coach set for our team. I am forced to use study hall hours productively due to my crazy schedule. I find myself stressing over this various assignments but ultimately finishing them.

Hockey has added to my crazy work load so far this semester. I am fortunate to have hockey early in the morning so I can still have the entire day to get my school work done and then ultimately go to work. This is not easy though. Being up at 4:30 am and closing at 10 pm can be a huge struggle. This is particularly tough because my crazy schedule does not allow for a nap during the day and rarely leaves me down time. I find myself crashing directly after entering my room. Not only am I tired from hockey but I'm also physically exhausted and sore. But It's a game I love and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I am one of those crazy individuals who is not forced to work at school but chooses to. But let's be real working at a restaurant during school is great! It means an hourly wage, tips, and discounted food during your shift. What else could a college student need? The money I make at this restaurant allows me to live freely during school and never having to worry about various expenses that come up, and when that new trend comes I have the cash to drop on the items necessary. I didn't work last year during the school year and found living off the little money I saved over the summer somewhat of a struggle. This year has comparatively been a breeze. Also, I find myself more productive now mixing work into the mix. Instead of laying in bed like a bum watching Netflix I'm up and moving at work.

I would not change my go, go,go lifestyle for anything. Although I'm tired, stressed out, and question socializing in my spare time I love the way I've chosen to live at school. I am always busy whether it's hockey, school, work, or hanging out with friends there is never a dull moment and I wouldn't have it any other way. The struggle is real, but the struggle is worth it.