Stop Over Sexualizing Women

Stop Over Sexualizing Women

They are Not A Distraction.

219
Stop Over Sexualizing Women
CNN

This post is in response to a video posted on Facebook from Upworthy with the caption "Sent home for baring her shoulders, this teen is calling out sexist dress codes".

Dress codes have always been tricky. Clothes in this world rapidly change, with different trends and different social norms all the time. Although there does becomes a point where a dress code can cross a line that starts effecting the female gender negatively. These dress code laws have always been partial to men and impartial to women. Society has placed women into labels, when it comes to choice of clothing, that are either modest or completely immodest and too much. Unfortunately that line between modest and immodest is not clear and down right unfair. So, accordingly, let me go through one main reason as to why I still believe dress code is important, and why I believe we need to start viewing it a little differently.

Are men mature enough? This is a common question when the idea of dress code comes up about females, even though the question is once again putting men into a higher importance rather than thinking about the importance of women. I'm not here to answer the question of is certain types of clothes on a female more distracting to guys in general and distracting them from there learning because it doesn't actually matter. Guys go through many different phases in their life and if a female is wearing something a bit revealing should it be the schools job to place a dress code rule on women because of men's immaturity? I believe that the true question people should be asking is not how can we help the men not get as distracted, but rather, we should be asking how can we change the male perception of females.

How is this a possibility you may ask? Well, the answer to this question is similar to any kind of answer when it comes to any of kind of equality. It starts at a young age. People don't grow up as racists or bigots or whatever. So why do we grow up thinking that women are inferior? Women are our equals. We were created with the necessary need to have women apart of our lives, which is why God made Eve for Adam. At the end of the day, it's your opinion as to whether girls should have certain restrictions on what to wear. I believe that girls should have the freedom to wear whatever they would like that makes them either comfortable or feel a certain way about themselves. That's just my opinion. But the truth of the matter lies here. Maybe we should stop being so concerned about what girls wear as apposed to how guys are looking at these girls.

*Quick Note: For those that say that girls need to start complaining because the adult life has a dress code, that argument is not an excuse as to why girls should have a strict dress code in school, especially high school or college. The workplace is a place to be taken seriously which demands professionalism. You will not gain any experience adhering to dress codes in school, a place where people are there to learn. People may have different reasons as to why they dress the way they do, whether that's to impress someone or to feel comfortable or feel good about themselves is their own reason and their own business.