5 Things To Stop Doing At The Gym

5 Things To Stop Doing At The Gym

Make it a pleasant place for everyone to be.

108
5 Things To Stop Doing At The Gym
Victor Freitas

The craze to be healthy has been popular for many years now, especially on college campuses. Most university gyms are free for students and can be a great way to relieve stress, cure boredom, become more toned as well as just a healthy habit. These are all great and can be fully supported; however, people need to learn that a campus gym is not for their own personal use. The gym is shared by students, faculty, and staff and should be treated in such way. Here is a list of things that people need to change at the gym to make a pleasant experience for everyone:

1. Please put a shirt on.

No one wants to see guys or girls walking around without a shirt. I don't care if your yoga pants match your sports bra or if your six pack has turned into an eight pack. A gym is a place that everyone should feel comfortable, and I don't feel comfortable watching you walk around half naked.

2. Wipe down the equipment when you're done.

It's a fact, most people sweat when working out and that's fine. What is not fine however, is you leaving your sweat all over the machine when you're done. Most gyms have sanitation wipes readily available for you, use them! It takes an extra 5 seconds to wipe down the machine, please just do it.

3. Stop using your phone on machines.

I understand that you're supposed to take a 30 second or one minute break depending where it you are at in your sets. You can use your phone during this time or quickly to change your song, no problem. But please don't sit on the leg press machine for five minutes texting your boyfriend. I would like to use that machine too.

4. If you see someone waiting acknowledge them.

Gyms are limited with the amount of space they have and how many machines they can fit in that space. This means that you need to share! If you see someone waiting ask them if they want to work in, move a little faster, or tell them how much longer you have. I'm tired of waiting for 10 minutes in hopes someone will get off the stair-stepper.

5. Stop fat shaming.

A gym is meant to help people stay in shape and get healthy no matter what you look like. Please do not judge anyone based on their appearance, they are there to better themselves. They are most likely already self-conscious about themselves and it probably took a lot more for them to come to the gym than for you.