5 Ways To Stay Sane As A College Graduate STILL Looking For A Job

Did we really think finding a full time job during a global pandemic would be EASY!?

51
Photo by MD Duran on Unsplash

If you are a 2020 college graduate, like me, and are struggling to find a full-time job, I completely understand your pain!

Because girl... same. If only we could get paid for sitting back and scrolling through TikTok all day. Now, that would be a dream!

Facing job rejection after rejection during a time of so much uncertainty can be incredibly overwhelming and stressful! It is so easy to compare yourself to other people in your life who seem to have it all together in the career department, even during a pandemic. Trust me when I say the perfect job for you will come.

In the meantime, stay calm and carry on! Here are five things post gradates should be doing to keep themselves sane while searching for a job!

1. Surround yourself with supportive people

Looking for a job can become incredibly discouraging over time when nothing seems to be going right. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the stress of sending in applications, constantly tweaking your resume and getting ghosted by recruiters after an interview.

I can confidently say that this has been my life for the past seven months, and it doesn't get any easier. Surround yourself with people who love you and pick you up when you are feeling down! Lean on your girl gang a little extra these days. And, remember, there is nothing a virtual wine night can't fix!

2. Create a routine that you enjoy and is easy to stick to 

Realistically, you cannot spend every second of every day applying for jobs. Now THAT would be crazy! If there is anything that the COVID-19 pandemic has taught me, it's that sticking to a routine is crucial. Set aside a specific time each day to sit back and look for new available positions online. Job boards such as LinkedIn, Glassdoor and Indeed are perfect for finding new opportunities and are great resources to connect with other professionals.

Once you are done job searching, you can spend the rest of the day doing things you actually enjoy that are a little less stress-filled! Realistically, who really enjoys applying for jobs? Now, you feel productive and are ready to tackle the rest of your day!

3. It's time to get organized!

Staying organized with your job applications will help you keep track of where you are applying and when. Especially if you find yourself submitting multiple applications per day! Setting up an Excel spreadsheet or Google Doc list of where you applied can help navigate your applications and keep you up to date on if a job has already been applied to or not. That way, you can look back and edit where you are in the interview process for certain roles, and disregard the positions you may have been rejected from.

4. Practice positive affirmations and self love

Self doubt becomes an almost natural reaction when you are applying to jobs that you are unsure you are qualified enough for. Don't you just love it when an entry-level role requires 10 plus years of experience beforehand? Take some time to practice self love and remind yourself that you are a STAR and are destined for greatness.

Remind yourself at least once a day that, "I am good enough," and "I will achieve amazing things." Positive affirmations are good for the heart and give you that extra boost to keep pushing forward. It is important to remember that what is meant for you will come when it is the right time. Keep working hard, building your connections and believing in yourself and your abilities! You got this!

5. Remember that it is nothing personal!

Job rejection is never easy to cope with, especially if it is from a job or company that you were really hoping would work out. I know it is easy to automatically assume that you are not good enough, but try to remember that it is nothing personal! When one door closes, another one opens.

There is a reason why that one job didn't work out! It's because it is going to lead you to something even better in the long run. Sometimes, that is hard to believe, but everyone eventually ends up where they are meant to be! Be patient, and try not to be too hard on yourself. Your time to shine will come!

To the class of 2020, you are one of a kind! You have faced many hardships within the past couple of months that no one would have ever imagined. Some of you did not get to experience the milestone of having a college graduation, others are struggling to find a job and some are learning to adjust to working a full-time job at home for the very first time.

But, we are more than just the class that graduated amidst a pandemic!

We are strong, driven and have our entire futures ahead of us. Yes, times are tough, and yes, all we wanted was to end our senior year of college how we deserved too. At the end of the day, though, we are destined for great things, and the perfect opportunity will come our way. Give yourself credit for making it this far!