We Need A 'Spring Cleaning' For Toxic Relationships

Take the steps towards cleaning negativity out of your life.

472

"Confidence is not 'They will like me.' Confidence is 'I'll be fine if they don't.'" -Christina Grimmie

Everyone wants to be wanted. Everyone wants the last word in an argument. Everyone wants to win their battles. Everyone wants to be liked by all.

It is impossible to live a full and happy life with this attitude.

It will never be easy to be disliked. The truth of the matter is, as the number of people you meet increases, so will the number of people who don't like you. Yes, it freaking sucks. However, the moment you acknowledge your strengths in your personality and discover who you are, the easier it will be to be disliked.

It gets difficult the moment you let those people decide for you that your qualities are not valuable. It gets hard when you question your self-worth. Your confidence diminishes as you try to change who you are to impress people, and you end up trapped behind a personality that doesn't express the wonderful and unique parts of you.

As much as everyone hates spring cleaning, it's our chance to remove toxic relationships from our lives. If someone does not nourish your heart and assist in your self-growth, get rid of them. It takes so much more energy to convince someone to like you and fight battles that can't be won than it does to love yourself, and you'll find that loving yourself is far more rewarding.

A clean mind is more important than a clean house or a clean room. The clutter of negativity brought upon us by others can hinder our development as people. The honest truth is we continue growing into who we are going to become until we die, and we've got too much life to live to spend so much of it unhappy in who we are.

You will find as you grow more secure in who you are, the truer your friendships around you will become. Think about it this way: if you keep your house clean all year, you're going to have less cleaning to do when spring rolls around.

The same goes for relationships. The more authenticity you express while creating friendships and relationships, the less filtering of toxic people in your life you are going to have to do. Be conscious of these people as they come, and be sure to show those who help you grow the appreciation they deserve.

It took me a long time to become proud of the person I am. I am certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but I know that I have wonderful qualities to offer those around me. I can credit this self-awareness to my relationships that encourage me to be a better person instead of tearing me down. Break out the vacuums, mops, and brooms. Take the step towards cleaning your mind and living a full and happy life.