Spring Break For The Girl That Settled Down

Settling down has changed my way of thinking about Spring Break. This year I'm trading the parties for a nice week at home.
22

So next week is my Spring Break since I am a college student. However, I will not be partying it up in Panama City, sipping margaritas in Mexico, or backpacking Europe with my sorority sisters. Now that I have my own home with my boyfriend and have settled down a bit, Spring Break means something different to me.

Instead of picking out swimsuits and looking up mixed drinks, I am picking out paint swatches and bathroom fixtures. Instead of saving up money for a trip, I have been saving up money for renovations. I am daydreaming of free time, some possible extra hours at my job, and catching up on laundry. I'm not looking forward to the beautiful beaches, or massive snowy mountain slopes, I'm excited to spend some extra time curled up on the couch with my love, admiring the progress we've made with our new home.

It is very weird to me, this change of mind about this week I used to look forward to every year. It was not so long ago that I would have laughed at anyone that said they were excited about staying home and spring cleaning. I would have looked at them in confusion because just a short year ago, I would not have understood their contentment with settling down, especially at my age. However, in the last year or so, this idea is not so foreign to me.

It's not going to be any less memorable, though, I can promise you that. As my single friends are posting their pictures of their beach days and partying nights, I'll be Pinterest-ing my DIY projects. While some of my girlfriends are meeting hot foreign guys, I'll be spending time with my sweetheart. While my peers are hitting the newest clubs, I'll be at home with a glass of wine and a relaxing bubble bath. Just because I won't be having the typical Spring Break like most college students, doesn't mean it will be any less to me. Just like I would have thought a while back, I am sure some of my peers and friends will not understand and laugh, but they too will feel the same way one day. Everyone has their time when they settle down, I may have just hit mine a little early.

So to all the traveling, partying spring breakers, I wish you safe travels and good choices. To all you old, young folks like me, may the spring cleaning begin.