Sportsball : For The Love of The Game

Sportsball : For The Love of The Game

Professional Sports are wonderful, but we need to work on being more responsible as fans.

15
Sportsball : For The Love of The Game
Travis Wise

I am not a sports fanatic. I am also not someone who hates sports. The only sport I am extremely passionate about is baseball. Though, I also enjoy hockey. Beyond that, I could take or leave professional sports (and we'll leave my affinity for professional wrestling out of it). When I cheer for a team, it's going to be a Chicago team (except the White Sox, because I'm from the other side of town).

That being said, here's what I don't understand. Sports gives us these great opportunities to come together and connect over something we enjoy. They're meant to foster unity and connection among fans. And, they do. We cheer together. We weep in our beers together. We don apparel in support of our favorite teams. We wink, wave and shout sports themed phrases at strangers who also support our favorite team(s). And, that's great. The feeling of being connected to something bigger, being included, is important.

I also understand that we have playful rivalries. That, too, is fine. Making friendly wagers over games or tossing out an occasional playful barb is expected. Sports is one of the few areas in life that truly is win/lose. Sometimes we win at the expense of the other team. Sometimes they win and we're left in the lurch. That's all very logical.

But, why is it that instead of supporting the teams we love, fans often turn surely and mean? I don't know how many times I've seen abusive Facebook posts that move way too far past playful rivalry and degrade into some type of school yard antics or ad hominem attack. But, beyond the trolling, people become physically aggressive when other people disagree with them and support another team. People throw actual punches, sometimes for no reason other than the person in question wearing the "wrong" jersey. Doesn't this go against the whole idea of sportsmanship? Of team spirit?

We can love teams, and we do. I've been a Cubs fan since birth. I don't care if they win or lose (well, I mean, I do); I'll always be a fan. What should their record matter? If you like the Cubs, you like the Cubs? We also have the right to choose. If I decided to love The Cards instead (which just won't happen), I would be attacked or labeled fare-weather. But, why does that matter to anyone else? So, what?

Some of us are fans for life. We love a team because our parents loved the team...and maybe their parents passed the admiration down to them. Maybe we love the teams from the state in which we were born. Maybe we like a new team each time we move, or if our favorite player gets traded. Or, perhaps we choose a random team and run with it. Our reasons are our own and they shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Sports are a large part of American culture, but we really need to reexamine our relationship to them. Love sports and root for your favorites, but leave the abuse and judgments at the door. Sometimes your team wins and they're better than the rest. Other times, they're not. Recognize that and just be a good fan. Love your team for what they are and let others do the same.