Spoiler Alert: More Money Won't Actually Make You Happier

No matter how much you have, you will always want just a little bit more.

49
Unsplash

When I was young, I believed what every marketer wanted me to believe. As an eight-year-old girl, I thought I needed to have all of the cute Barbie clothes, accessories, furniture, and cars. Every time a commercial would play on the television, I was mesmerized. I knew I needed to have whatever it was they were trying to sell. There was always something new coming out. I was quickly bored with my old toys and ready for new ones.

Thinking back, I can't believe how little has changed. Only now, it's not Barbie's. It's fancy gadgets, clothes, cars, accessories, etc. There is always something new. There will always be something new.

This leads me to question whether anyone will ever be satisfied by such things. No matter how much you have, you will always want just a little bit more. So how can money ever make us happy? Even the experiences we can buy with money, like traveling and fun hobbies, will only leave us wanting more.

If you aren't content with what you have, you most likely won't be content with what you want. So what will make us happy, if not more money? I'm glad you asked. I can't say I know the answer to happiness. That would be rather presumptuous. But, I do know what brings joy. I do know what brings meaning and purpose. I do know what brings satisfaction and contentment.

It's Jesus. That's a pretty basic answer. A lot of people say, "Jesus is the answer." But, how is He the answer? Why is He the answer? What can Jesus give me that money can't?

Jesus answered, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

Jesus wants a personal relationship with us. He wants to know us, and He wants us to know Him. To be known. To be truly known. This is what we are all searching for. At least, I know I am. I want someone to know me better than I know myself. I constantly expect those closest to me to know exactly what I'm thinking. I expect them to know me. And they do know a lot about me, but they don't know my soul. They can never know me like Jesus knows me. And that's why He fulfills my every need. He knows and loves me more than I can fathom.

He feels the same way about you. He came to die for you. He loves you so much that He chose to die so that He could know you. Sin separated us from Him, but His sacrifice on the cross covered our sins so we could know Him. A loving, personal relationship with Jesus, our Lord and Savior, the one who walked on water, healed the lame and the blind, and raised people from the dead, is a thousand times more satisfying than all the money in the world.