Sorry Celebs, I'm Calling You Out

Sorry Celebs, I'm Calling You Out

It's time for celebrities put their money where their mouths are. Literally.

3
Sorry Celebs, I'm Calling You Out
out.com

I have to talk about something that has bothered me more and more as we get further into 2017. People all over the world are making their opinions of our POTUS known - some are very forward and candid, while others remain silent (for whatever reasons). But of all those that have been most vocal in their opposition to Trump, there is a subset of folks that are starting to frustrate and disappoint me: celebrities.

Now, before someone has a fit, let me first say that I do appreciate that many celebrities have actually voiced their opinions, without fear of what it will do to their careers or sales or marketability. I do. I appreciate it. But, it's time to put your money where your mouth is. It's super easy to say "Hey, hang in there, keep fighting and resist!"

But you forget - the vast majority of us who are fighting this fight don't have millions of dollars from which we can draw the necessary time and resources to really fight. And that's what drives me nuts. And as cynical as the rest of this article may seem, I have to say that I'm over celebrities coming out in support of the little people, but not actually doing anything to help us.

Part of the argument right now is that Trump has failed to deliver on his promise to drain the swamp - he has, instead, filled his cabinet with corrupt, elitist and incompetent cronies who have absolutely no business in making critical decisions that affect the quality of life of millions and millions of Americans. And those people have no regard for our lives. And you know what, I see many celebrities who open their mouths but ultimately don't care about our lives either.

No one in this country should be living in a 10 million dollar mansion while preaching about how the lives of everyday Americans mean so much. What are you doing for us? And please, spare me the lecture of how celebrities have worked sooooo hard to get where they are. I don't care if you spent 18 hours a day for 8 months filming a movie. I don't care that your ghost writer put in weeks worth of effort for that one Top 40 hit. And I couldn't give a shit that your reality show just drains so much out of your personal life.

And no, contributing to a non-profit that you write off on your taxes doesn't count either.

I want to know what Beyonce, Miley and Robert Downey Jr. are doing to actually improve the lives of the millions of citizens who are powerless, who lack the resources to make change and who fight every day just to make ends meet. How much have you all given to areas riddled with crime? How many yachts and summer homes and 100k rings have you sold off to help kids go to college? How many of your own profits have you donated to help the average, every day American achieve their dreams?

And not that I ever expect any of these people to ever read this, but I really want to know what efforts are being made to even the playing field. Can you imagine how much different this political landscape (and life in general) would look if more of us had the ability to truly rise and stand against corporate corruption, political tyranny and constitutional tragedies? If we had the ability to have our voices really be heard and our ideas turned into action?

The sad truth is that not everyone in this country has the ability to chase their dreams, to reach for the stars. Most of us are just trying to get by and hopefully we're current on the bills. And it's a rare treat when you don't have to use a credit card to buy that vacuum that you so badly needed (and I'm talking the $49.95 vacuum). I am so sick of being told, over and over again, that my opinions and goals and dreams matter by people who eat with silver spoons, drive cars I can't even pronounce and live in houses that cost more than I will eve make in my life.

And I'm calling you out - every celebrity who has ever voiced their opposition to Trump, who has ever come out and publicly sided with the common folk on the grave injustices that threaten our quality of life every single day. I'm asking you to put your money where your mouth is, to take action that really matters and help set up the every day people for success.

Otherwise, you're no different to me than the right-wing d-bags who seek to oppress us and keep us silent. And you deserve no praise or admiration if you're not willing to act, live and exist as we do.