A Playlist For People Struggling Through Finals Season

Music can sometimes be the best medicine.

161

If you're in college right now, you're probably starting to feel the stress of finals season finally kick in. Not only are we spending hours upon hours reviewing flashcards and online quizzes, but completing the numerous essays that professors assign at the end of the semester. We get back from a relatively relaxing Thanksgiving break only to be thrown into one of the most anxiety-inducing periods of the year.

For some of us, we need a little bit of inspiration. Personally, I know I cannot listen to music while actually doing my assignments, but I could use a pick-me-up playlist on my way to and from my classes after hearing that I'm assigned yet another research paper that's due in three days. Sometimes, all you can do is listen to a song and try to forget that you haven't started that assigned reading.

1. Work Bitch by Britney Spears

Obviously, an iconic song that can be used to boost your spirits on virtually any occasion, exercising in particular. But, the song still applies to the academic world. If you want a Lamborghini, if you want to "party in France," you need to earn those stellar grades. So, get to work and start grinding out that lab report!

2. Push It To The Limit by Corbin Bleu

For the nostalgic High School Musical fans out there, this is the one for you. As a child, this song definitely got me through some tough times during elementary school. Right now, we have to push ourselves to the limit in order to survive these next few weeks. We will come out victorious, we will "show em how we shine," but only if we persevere and follow the wise words of our favorite basketball star, Chad.

3. 4 Minutes by Madonna ft. Justin Timberlake and Timberland

Save this tune for right before your exam (preferably four minutes before), when you're flexing your wrists in preparation for the essay you're going to have to write in twenty minutes. Not only will the lyrics pump you up, but no one can resist the beautiful craftsmanship of this iconic song. When Madonna asks you "are you ready to go?" the only answer you really can give is yes.

4. I Want It All by Queen

We know it's not just about acing that one, challenging final. At the end of the day, we want to do well on all of them. When you have four finals in three days, it may be difficult to keep your motivation up. Listen to this one to remind you that you can achieve greatness on each and every one of your exams. You want it all, and you want it now. Just like Freddie, you're a queen.

Beat It by Michael Jackson

When procrastination starts to creep in, use this song to push those thoughts of Netflix and Chinese food away (save that for after finals). "No one wants to be defeated" by finals season, so don't let it happen to you. You're in control now, so get back to the books and study for your exams! Trust me, you can watch all the holiday episodes of The Office after these few weeks.

6. I'm Still Standing by Elton John

Just thinking about finals season makes us wonder how we're possibly going to survive. This song always reminds me that I'm still alive, I'm still standing and I can make it through this tough period. Even if one test doesn't go as well as I hoped it would, I will make it through and I will continue to push myself to do the best that I possibly can.

7. We Can Work It Out by The Beatles

I don't recommend pulling an all-nighter the day before an exam, but if you do have to stay up quite late one night studying, this one will inspire you to keep pushing forward. As the lyrics demonstrate, "We can work it out and get it straight or say good night." You can work hard in order to actually understand the concepts, or you can give up and just assume you'll have time later to study. Sometimes, a good night's sleep is the best refresher, but if you know you need to put in some extra time after dark, Paul, Georgia, Ringo and John can always get you through.

Hopefully, if you listen to one or two of these songs, you'll feel rejuvenated and ready to tackle these upcoming exams. Of course, the playlist is short so you can't get distracted too easily by the musical genius that defines some of these classic hits. Try not to get too lost in the beauty that is 2013 Britney Spears.