Sometimes You Need A Cupcake And That's OK

Societal pressure of the "ideal" body is extremely unhealthy for teens and young adults.

201
Instagram

Whether it is social media shoving fitness pages in your face or the constant Snapchats of the Kardashian family, it is clear that ideal body types are shown to you multiple times a day. It wears on the mind and can become an obsession for some.

I never was one to be extremely self-conscious about my body. I always ate what I wanted to and exercised however much that I felt was necessary. However, it was not until college that I started to pay active attention to my weight and what I was consuming.

I started to catch myself working out only to be more stressed out about my body. I often compared myself to girls around me that had completely different body types than mine and strived for unrealistic goals. I caught myself ordering salads and looking at calories rather than just getting the food that I wanted to eat.

Fortunately for me, it never became an obsession, but I know others that constantly keep track of their progress to the point of it being unhealthy. Society is constantly changing their "ideal" body-type, making it impossible for the majority of people to fit this standard.

A few years ago being stick-thin was something a lot of girls strived for. Now the idea of being "slim-thicc" is a trend and is probably more unrealistic than being super skinny. Have a tiny waist and a big bottom is hard to achieve, but tons of girls are wearing corsets or working out an obscene amount to get this body shape.

I think not only is celebrity influence a huge part of this, but also the fitness pages that many girls are creating and using. I think it is fantastic to have a passion and to love working out if it is something that you genuinely like to do. However, I think it is hard to publicly display this passion and contributes to many girls being upset with their own "normal" weight and image.

It is so much easier said than done, but loving yourself no matter what shape you are in is the most important. It is extremely unhealthy and toxic to have a negative view of oneself.

Even the girls that are skinny or have toned abs are not always content with how they look. It is so hard for people to be fully content with their body and putting pressure on yourself by comparing your body to others is the worst thing that you could do.

Especially at this age, we should be focusing on more important things than working out every day and posting transformation pictures of our bodies. People should be eating that ice cream sundae with the hot fudge or getting a donut instead of a protein shake for breakfast.

While some people may be disgusted at that thought we need to all realize our age and how we are not getting any younger. We need to live like the kids and young adults that we are and not focus so hard on the expectations that society has for us.

So, next time you are doing yoga or going to the gym keep this in mind and reward yourself. Eat the mozzarella sticks or cupcakes and love yourself no matter what. Recognize that you are only going to be this young once and you should not be living like you are 50 years old and on a diet.