NCAA Softball Teams Are Wall-Sitting For A Cause

This 4 minute and twenty-eight-second challenge is the next step in a country-wide campaign to raise awareness for Ovarian Cancer

712

Alex Wilcox, the inspiring Mississippi State Softball freshmen outfielder whose courageous fight with Ovarian Cancer united thousands under the 'No One Fights Alone' mission, passed away on June 25th. Her head coach, Vann Studeman, described the immense impact Alex had on the team, the community, saying, "she showed us daily how to face an evil giant with grace and dignity. I have been forever changed by her inner beauty, strength, courage, and love of life. Alex was a gift to all who knew her".

After the diagnosis during her junior year of high school, Alex refused to give-up on her softball dreams, earning not just any spot on a college roster, but a scholarship to a school in the most dominant conference in the country, the SEC. Despite undergoing routine chemotherapy treatments, Wilcox led Brantley, her hometown's local high school, to multiple state championships, and signed with the Bulldogs in 2016. In her freshmen season, she appeared in 8 games, starting 3 of those, and collected 3 hits in 15 at-bats.

Alex Wilcox, who wore #8, became the first female student-athlete in Mississippi State history to have her jersey retired, following a special memorial service held during halftime of the school's football game against Louisiana on September 14th. She earned this high honor because of her strength, character, and bravery, more so than any of her statistics or on-the-field accomplishments.

The Bulldogs rallied around their teammate, kickstarting the 'No One Fights Alone' campaign in support of Alex and everyone else affected by Ovarian Cancer. Mississippi State wore teal uniforms in all their midweek contests, and other SEC teams joined in with teal accessories. The Bulldogs sent video and card messages of encouragement to patients of this cancer which affects about 1 out of every 78 women. During the 4th inning of all their home games, Mississippi State would hold a moment of silence in which fans and players were invited to write down the name of someone they knew battling cancer and hold up the sign to show that truly, no one has to fight such a horrible disease alone.

This year, although Alex Wilcox is no longer with us, her legacy lives on. The team's campaign is partnering with a foundation that LSU softball head coach Beth Torina has proudly been a part of since its creation in 2013, Geaux Teal. The Geaux Teal's mission statement is similar to that of Mississippi State's: to raise awareness and funds for women of all ages towards Ovarian Cancer. The Geaux Teal foundation sent out packages to hundreds of female collegiate teams with wristbands to wear in Alex and other patients honor, along with wallet-sized cards that list common symptoms of Ovarian Cancer. Just like most cancers, early detection can save lives, and knowing what to look for is a great first step.

The latest part of the mission is the #428WallSitChallenge. Last year, the Mississippi State coaches gave their girls a punishment wall-sit following a bad practice. Alex, who'd just returned from a few days of chemotherapy, joined the rest of the team on the wall despite her condition. She persevered through the exercise just as she willed herself through all the other obstacles in her life and remained against the wall for four minutes and 28 seconds. In her memory, as a symbol of her strength and attitude, the Mississippi State team challenged the rest of the country to wall-sit for the same duration. Already, the challenge has made its way across the country, as teams come together to celebrate the life of a truly amazing individual, support an important cause and I guess, as a side-perk, improve their quad strength.

If you're the member of a sports team or a club, take a video and put it on social media to help spread awareness for Ovarian Cancer and honor those like Alex Wilcox whose courageous fights ended all-too-soon.

#428WallSitChallenge

Georgia has accepted the #428WallSitChallenge in loving memory of Mississippi State Softball Alex Wilcox 💙 Learn more about the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer with the Geaux Teal Ovarian...

Wall Sit Challenge

Joining with Mississippi State Softball and all the other schools for the #428WallSitChallenge in memory of Alex Wilcox and in support against Ovarian Cancer. #GeauxTeal #NoOneFightsAlone

‪We are not #SEC, @HailStateSB, but we are still family. ...

‪We are not #SEC, @HailStateSB, but we are still family. We remain in the fight with you and others and continue to honor Alex. Her life. Her courage. Her joy. #WonderWoman💜💛 #OvarianCancerAwareness...