Saying Goodbye To My Phone

Saying Goodbye To My Phone

Because not everything is worth a glance

106
Saying Goodbye To My Phone
theamericangenius.com

This summer I have decided to be free. And by that I mean unleash myself from the bonds and ties that I myself have strung to my body. So I said goodbye to my friends, deleted my Tumblr, removed snapchat, Instagram, and Groupme from my apps, and really powered down. I started off super optimistic and thought that this would just enlighten me to a whole other level.

Three days later I put out about seven tweets, posted a new photo, face timed my best friend, and snapchatted all day. So obviously this didn't work out as planned. I thought to myself, "it's okay I'll just start over again." This lasted another five days until I relapsed. Whatever.

So something was not just working, now yes I did want some space from social media, but It wasn't time for New Years resolutions, and I was already away from my circle for the summer so I had to be a little connected just to check in. I slowly started to ease myself from Instagram, I only go on it when I am ready to make a post. This not only keeps me from lurking when I shouldn't, but it also keeps my obsessive tendencies to be "in the know" in check. Not everything is worth learning about, and so this ideal works both ways. I can teach myself how to be private, as well as avoid snooping incessantly and wasting my time and energy being envious of others. How can I focus on bettering my life, if all I'm concerned with is Jimmy's?

I went to the library and picked out hard covered books, that smelt like many people picked them up and brought them home. Which I know sounds weird, but to me that's a sign that It's probably a good book. I never strive for the perfect editions, because that most likely means that they've been sitting on the shelf forever. Hence, their crisp finger-printless pages. So I read, and as eyes covered lines, I found a new way to escape. Besides not all tweets are worth my time, and some Instagram posts I could really go without seeing. After all momma always said "eyes are the gateway to the soul."

Question. What are you allowing yourself to be exposed too?

Anyway, now that it is almost August and almost time to re-download. I must say that I've enjoyed the little bit of space I've created between me and social media. I won't deny that I've missed out on lots of buzz and probably drama. But then again I have enough things to worry about, and I really had to start focusing my energy towards outlets that will only benefit me. So I will continue to love my gossip from a distance, keep my phone close enough to get to in emergencies, but far enough to not tempt me too much into the world of irrelevant things. Technology can be fun, and it's great to feel connected. But it's also important to check in with yourself, and really evaluate if these are things you should pay that much attention too.