Social Media Portrayals: Dallas
Politics

Social Media Portrayals: Dallas

How hatred suffocates social media networks

16
Social Media Portrayals: Dallas
Associated Press / NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Social media is a double-edged sword.

Networks can be wonderful for spreading domestic/international news, moments; the good and the bad. It can be horrific for spreading hate and demonstrating how people should be living their lives.

If you are on social media networks, then you can attest to the pouring of hatred. Politics and violence are suffocating these networks and it continues to worsen every week. It has come to the point that I expect to see another horrific event happen with every login I have. As bad as these events are by themselves, the posts on social media is entirely forming them into a technological war. We know how easy it is for someone to post on a social network instead of saying it to someone's face. We want to take action, but we remain as cowards behind our screens.

As we all know, 5 police officers were killed and others critically injured at a shooting in Dallas, Texas at a Black Lives Matter Protest. These cops, who were present to protect the people at the protest, were punished. The shooting was the deadliest attack of law enforcement since 9/11. Instead of going into mourning on social media networks, putrid honesty displayed.

Throughout the past few days, social media networks have blown up with disgusting messages about the Dallas shooting.

Not only does the entire world have access to these posts, but the families of the innocent police officers who were killed will never have these erased from their memories.

It is incomprehensible to understand the minds of some who are this narrow and shameless. Some live for the attention, but it has only made matters worse. Instead of being able mourn peacefully, the families of the officers are subject to American citizens igniting the fire with saying that they deserved to be killed. We worry so much about ISIS, for example, but our own country is falling apart because of our own citizens. Instead of calling our law enforcement "sniping pigs", we need to unite with them.

Violence will never end; however, social media has become a place where we can encourage the violence. It is terrifying. I am not sure if there is even a solution.

I encourage you to be mindful of what you post on social media, especially when it relates to current events.

Do not become another coward behind another screen.

Why should we continue with peaceful protests if many of them result in violence?

I turn to a quote by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to answer this question:

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."