Where Will You Be In Six Months?

Where Will You Be In Six Months?

Fear will not quiet their voice. #DACA

27
Where Will You Be In Six Months?
NY Times

You might be at home, or in class, or at work; maybe you'll be getting ready to start a new job or graduate; perhaps you'll be out with your family or friends, or sleeping in your bed.

Unless you're a 'Dreamer.'

If you're a "Dreamer,' meaning a DACA recipient, you'll be packing your bags for deportation. Yes, you read that right. The protection that was legally granted to these people, who go through rigorous qualification screenings every two years for it, is being taken away by our President.

The Trump Administration is, unfortunately, moving forward in the rescinding of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA); the consequences of which will officially go into effect in six months.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared by this decision. The inhumanity of the whole thing is truly heartbreaking. I cried when I heard the news, and I continue to hurt for those who are personally affected by this. They are individuals who grew up here, many of them not knowing a country outside of the US, and some not even knowing a language other than English. This is their home, and we are kicking them out.

Now I know there are plenty of supporters of this decision. They believe that by doing this, Trump is fighting for our country and "making America great again." They believe ridding our country of these immigrants will make it better. They think that these people are "stealing their jobs" and "perpetuating criminal activity." But they are wrong.

The DACA recipients call America home, just like you. They have worked hard here, and while they're undocumented, they have contributed unequivocally to our country. Those against DACA recipients have forgotten to look around at the people standing next to them. Because if they did, they would see that there are 'Dreamers' all around them, and they are fighting for the good of the US, just like you.

They are children, nurses, military recruits, laborers, teachers, and college students. They were too young to know better when they were brought here illegally, and they should not be punished for their ignorance. Instead, we should be fighting for them -- with them. They are every bit a part of this country as each of us is.

This doesn't mean I think they should get a free pass, nor should any other illegal immigrant. I understand and agree that each individual should abide by the law of our country, and thus take the time to get the legal documentation necessary for citizenship here.

However, these 'Dreamers' didn't have that opportunity when they first came here because they didn't know. So now, instead of kicking them out along with their families, we need to help them.

I urge you all to look up the 'Dream Act' and get the word out about it! The 'Dream Act' would allow for DACA recipients to keep all the legal protection that DACA originally granted them, but with an end goal of citizenship; something DACA never offered.

So well the rescinding of DACA is a devasting move by President Trump, I think there is hope for something good to come of it. If our country can come together and influence our Congress enough to act in favor of the 'Dream Act' bipartisan bill, we could save 800,000 people from wrongful deportation.

If you want to help influence the passing of the 'Dream Act,' you can click here. This link will direct you to a website that offers multiple ways that YOU can help make a difference. These people need our help, and there's no time to waste.