6 Lessons I Learned From My Depression

6 Lessons I Learned From My Depression

We gain the most from our struggles.

346
6 Lessons I Learned From My Depression
Taraleigh90

I am one of approximately 14.8 million American adults who, according to the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, is affected by major depressive disorder (MDD) in a given year. That’s 6.7 percent of Americans aged 18 or older. You most likely either struggle with depression as well, or know someone who does. I think all 14.8 million of us would agree that it sucks.

Depression is common, and yet it’s still relatively misunderstood. It isn’t just feeling blue every once in a while. It’s persistent feelings of sadness and/or disinterest. It’s caused by an imbalance of brain chemicals called neurotransmitters and neuropeptides. That’s right - it’s an actual physiological illness, not just a made up issue that you can fix by “just cheering up.” It can have debilitating symptoms that make daily functions difficult. These include: changes in appetite, sleep problems, irritability, anxiety, loss of energy, indifference, feelings of worthlessness, inability to concentrate and unexplained aches and pains, to name a few. It’s more than a small inconvenience, and it can truly turn your world upside down.

Although my depression is difficult to deal with, it has also taught me a lot. It’s a struggle through which I've learned about myself and others. It's these lessons that provide a gleam of light in the darkness.

1. I am strong.

Overcoming depression is a battle. It requires fighting your mind and body, going against your instincts and urges. While depressed, I felt weak. My illness told me that I was weak, but I learned that it was lying, and I learned how to beat it. Although I still struggle sometimes, I know that I'm capable of overcoming it. Fighting my depression has shown me that I am strong.

2. It’s okay to be limited.

I can’t do some things that people without depression can do. I can’t overwhelm myself with responsibilities. I can’t spend every weekend going out and partying with friends. I have to give myself time to relax and decompress. I can’t do everything, but I can do some things. It’s not my fault that I have an illness that limits me. I'll gradually push myself to leave my comfort zone and expand my limits, but it will be a slow process. I'll get there eventually, and that’s good enough for me.

3. It’s okay to do things differently.

I can’t take the path I originally planned on. I can’t be a full-time student right now, and I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to. I can’t get a degree in four years. I’ve adjusted my plans in order to best suite my abilities. There is nothing wrong with doing things differently. It's often necessary in order to function with depression. I need to do what is best for my health. It might be different from most people, but that’s okay.

4. I am not alone.

I wouldn’t have survived my depression without my family and closest friends. When I faced my lowest moments and thought about taking my life, it was the people who I loved that kept me holding on. They are the ones who let me lean on them, who listened to me cry and held me when I was falling apart. They took on my burdens to lighten my load. No one can conquer depression alone. It takes a strong support system, and ideally the help of trained professionals. My depression has shown me that I am surrounded by love.

5. I control my fate.

I don't have to live in sadness. I'm not destined to be depressed forever. I can decide to put in the work to overcome this illness. It's difficult, but it's possible. In the end, it’s up to me.

6. I am not a burden. I deserve happiness.

It was hard to feel like I deserved happiness while I was depressed. I didn’t feel worthy. But I am. By virtue of having a heartbeat, I am worthy. I deserve to get the help I need in order to be happy. Being depressed is not my fault. Just as a cancer patient is not a burden for needing treatment in order to get healthy, I'm not a burden either. I deserve health. I deserve happiness. Everyone does.

If you or someone you know are feeling depressed, please reach out to someone you trust and make steps to get treatment. Contacting a physician or therapist is a good first step to getting help with depression. If you or someone you know is feeling suicidal, you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, you can call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room. For more information on depression, a great resource is the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance. And always remember that you are never, ever alone.