Six Eagles Headlines Heading Into 2016

Six Eagles Headlines Heading Into 2016

Here are some things to watch for when the Eagles kickoff their regular season this Sunday at the Linc.

16
Six Eagles Headlines Heading Into 2016

This Sunday, the Philadelphia Eagles will open their season on their home turf when they take on the Cleveland Browns at Lincoln Financial Field. The Eagles will have a new QB (more on that later), a new head coach, and a new defense. Below are six headlines involving the Eagles entering the new season, followed by their schedule and an overall prediction.

1. Carson, Carson, Carson

The time has come, and it's sooner than expected. This past weekend, Philly general manager Howie Roseman swindled the Minnesota Vikings into giving him a 2017 first-round pick and a 2018 fourth-round pick in exchange for quarterback Sam Bradford. The initial reaction to this trade by Eagles fans was that their team was in full tank mode, led by backup QB Chase Daniel. But then the bombshell was dropped that Carson Wentz, the second overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, would be starting this Sunday, fully recovered from a rib injury that kept him out for most of the preseason. The front office is confident Wentz is ready to lead, but fans should be cautiously optimistic. Yes, it's a good thing that his first opponent is the Cleveland Browns, but don't expect him to come out and throw for 300 yards and four touchdowns. Regardless, the time to ride with Wentz is here.

2. Wentz can't do it alone

If Wentz is going to succeed in his rookie campaign, he is going to need some help. Whether it comes in the form of protection from his offensive line or standout play from his receivers, other players must step up and give their QB a chance to put the Eagles in a position to win. Consisting of Jason Peters, Jason Kelce, Lane Johnson and Brandon Brooks, the O-line will have to protect their young QB. Offensive coordinator Frank Reich and Pederson must develop a game plan that opens up the field for Wentz and creates opportunities for him. Players such as receivers Jordan Matthews and Zach Ertz, along with running back Ryan Mathews, will be looked upon to help make the transition for Wentz easier.

3. All eyes on Doug

After striking out numerous times, the Eagles' spin of the potential head coaching candidate wheel landed on Doug Pederson. Doug. Pederson. The former Philly QB that spent 2013-15 as offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs under former Eagles coach Andy Reid. The coach whose only head experience is at the high school level. If you think Pederson will be on the hot seat if he somehow loses in week one to the Browns, think again: he's already on the hot seat. It seems obvious for the front office: if Pederson does well, they're geniuses for taking the chance on him. When the ball is kicked off this Sunday and the clock starts ticking, all eyes will be down on the Eagles sideline to see what Pederson can come up with with a rookie at the most important position on a football field.

4. Jim Schwartz's defense must succeed

Throughout the preseason, there seemed to be a common theme in Eagles games. The offense would not perform well, but the defense would. Forcing turnovers left and right, nine of which came in two games, the Philly D held three of their four opponents under 10 points. And this should continue once the real season is underway. Led by first-year defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz and his 4-3 scheme, Philly should have one of the best defensive lines in the league, including Pro Bowler Fletcher Cox. Jordan Hicks will be the quarterback of the defense at middle linebacker in his second year, while the safety duo of Malcolm Jenkins and Rodney McLeod should be solid in the secondary. Despite these strengths, there is still one glaring weakness...

5. Cornerbacks.

It's been a while since Philly had two standout cornerbacks standing opposite each other. Since the days of Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown, it's all gone downhill. Minus Asante Samuel, Eagles fans have had to put up with the likes of Nnamdi Asomugha, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Bradley Fletcher and most recently, Byron Maxwell. This season, the starting deep backs will most likely be Nolan Carroll and Leodis McKelvin, and will be backed up by Ron Brooks and rookie Jalen Mills. 2015 second-round pick Eric Rowe was expected to have a role, but he was recently shipped off to the New England Patriots for a 2018 fourth-round pick, an indication that the four names mentioned above are who the team will be rolling with.

6. NFC East is up for grabs.

If the Eagles have one thing on their side this year, it's that the NFC East is wide open. The Washington Redskins won the division a year ago with a record of 9-7, but there hasn't been a repeat champ since the Eagles won four straight division titles from 2001-04. Dallas will be without quarterback Tony Romo for 6-10 weeks, and it remains to be seen if rookie Dak Prescott will be able to carry over his preseason success into the regular season. For the New York Giants and new head coach Bob McAdoo, this season will be a reboot after replacing longtime coach Tom Coughlin. Combine the offensive combination of Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr. with defensive additions Olivier Vernon, Janoris Jenkins and Eli Apple, and NY has a chance to reach the playoffs.

2016 Eagles schedule:

1. vs Cleveland

2. @ Chicago

3. vs Pittsburgh

4. BYE

5. @ Detroit

6. @ Washington

7. vs Minnesota

8. @ Dallas

9. @ NYG

10. vs Atlanta

11. @ Seattle

12. vs Green Bay

13. @ Cincinnati

14. vs Washington

15. @ Baltimore

16. vs NYG

17. @ Dallas

Season Prediction: Eagles go 6-10 and miss the playoffs, but will get a good idea of whether or not Wentz is going to be the franchise QB everybody hopes he turns out to be. Oh, and cheer for every team that plays the Vikings.