A Single Girl's Approach To Toxic Relationships

"Don’t let being in a relationship get in the way of your self-worth."

703
maxredefault

Ironically enough most of my friends that are in serious relationships seem to seek me out on my opinion or my advice for problems that happen in their given relationship. It is ironic because I am the single friend of the friend group but I also know what types of people I like and connect with as well as what I am willing to compromise.

I have friends that get mad that they feel forgotten about because their friend got a boyfriend and tossed them to the curb. It’s normal to want to spend time with your significant other, but is there a point where it’s unhealthy?

Yes, there could be a point where its unhealthy. Say you’ve been with your boyfriend/girlfriend for a year and you realize you haven’t seen your friends in all that time that could be a huge problem.

You should be able to balance all of the relationships in your life that make you who you are and that are important to you. You shouldn’t ever feel like you need to stop spending time with your best friends because of your relationship status.

Your significant other should not be holding you back in any way. They should have their own time with their friends just as you should have your own time with yours.

Just because someone you love, loves you back doesn’t mean you should stop caring about yourself. You should still care about your body, your health and your emotions.

Make sure you are still you. Underneath it all you are in relationship with yourself for the rest of your life so make sure you are happy.

Just know, you aren’t going to be happy all the time but you should be happy most of the time. You shouldn’t fight everyday or every other, situations will come up and you will not also agree but hopefully proper communication will help sort it out.

Know what caring means and how to care in a healthy way. Care about each other but try not to get too hung up on the little things.

Do not stalk and get insecure about situations that don’t involve you. Please remember Instagram is a social media site for ‘liking’ others posts so don’t cause issues based on who liked some picture.

Trust your partner and don’t let being in a relationship get in the way of your self-worth. Your self-worth should not be linked to your relationship status.

Someone in a relationship is not any more a person than someone that might not be in one right now.

I feel like sometimes we forget why we date.

We date to find what we find compatible and what we don’t. If you feel stuck in a relationship please seek our help or advice from someone you trust.

You should enjoy spending time with your person but you shouldn’t feel like you aren’t you with or without them. Honestly, you are young and have so much more to live for that to be stuck in a toxic relationship.

Be around people who add to your life and make you feel more alive. The worth of your relationship isn't any less if you don't put a label on it.

Take time to get to know people you are interested in and don't feel pressure to jump into something too soon for you to handle.

Being friends first is never a bad idea.

In this part of life someone can be in your life but they should never be your world. Eventually one day your children will consist of your world.

You should still manage having a sense of independence that at the end of the day you are okay because you didn't accept anything less than what you deserve.

Honestly, I have never been as happy with myself as I am now. I know what I like and have such amazing people in my life that labels aren’t worth much to me.