28 Signs You Were In Marching Band

28 Signs You Were In Marching Band

They can take the instrument out of your hands, but they can’t take the music out of your heart.

29396
28 Signs You Were In Marching Band

Forever haunted by the sounds of metronomes, drum majors yelling, out-of-tune flutes, big-headed sax and trumpet players, loud percussionists, and the "one more time"s, marching band is something that truly changes you, and the memories and lessons learned stick with you for life.

1. You're really good with routines. All that waking up early and staying up late has been good for you.

2. You feel a weird emotional connection to any marching band you see.

3. When you return to your hometown football games, you are dragged into helping the band move equipment.

4. Every time you see your old marching band, you are judging everything. EVERYTHING.

5. You have really good time management skills. Not everyone can balance school work, rehearsals, practicing, family, friends, future plans, anxiety and other activities.

6. You can immediately recognize any old tune that you've played.

7. You have immediate connections to people that used to be in band.

8. You judge people by what instruments they used to play.

9. You have a love for music that is unlike any other that anyone who wasn't in band doesn't really understand.

10. You know the reason that you're a good kisser is from years of practicing your embouchure and breathing exercises.

11. You are actually fond of bus rides after years of changing, sleeping, singing, and practicing on buses.

12. When listening to music, sometimes you have to resist the strong urge to start conducting.

13. You own a lot of tall black/white solid socks.

14. You find yourself walking in step and in lines with strangers without trying to.

15. You also find yourself giving and responding to loud short commands.

16. You can't stand when people don't clap on beat. (It's really not that hard, people.)

17. Saliva doesn't actually bother you anymore thanks to years of trombones slinging it at you.

18. You're pretty good at dumbing things down (teaching freshmen how to march wasn't easy).

19. The "this one time at band camp" joke has never been funny, especially since that is actually how some of your best stories start.

20. Tan lines don't bother you anymore, because you've had much, much worse.

21. You hear a pop song on the radio and start judging whether or not it would make a good stand tune.

22. You like to think that you are pretty fluent in Italian thanks to all the musical terms you've learned.

23. You are forever haunted with the loud clicks of a never-ending metronome. (I'm looking at you, Dr. Beat.)

24. "Hey Baby" will always be the greatest love song of all time. (Ooh ahh.)

25. The words "dot," "box," "block," "pit," and "one more time" have totally new meanings.

26. You know how to take criticism and make yourself better, because band directors are not fluent in compliments.

27. You are (sadly) used to being under-appreciated.

28. Most of all, you understand that, despite everything, the show must go on. Marching band has giving you the determination, strength and courage to continue no matter what, which is a quality that you will use for the rest of your life.