Signs You Attended Kinnelon High School

Signs You Attended Kinnelon High School

We all survived, now let's look back on everyone's favorite four years.

391
Signs You Attended Kinnelon High School
Sierra Leavenworth

If you went to a small high school like me, you know that mostly everyone knows each other and all about each other too. At times it was tough and we longed for a larger fish bowl to swim around in, but we also had each other’s backs. We suffered through the same long line of principals until we finally decided on one. We cried over the Senior lounge being taken away. And we celebrated when we were actually Football State Champs… that one time… a while ago. Sure, at one point we all longed for graduation and to be able to spread our wings far beyond the “Kinnelon bubble”, and some of us probably blocked many high school memories out of our heads when stepping foot on our college campuses. If this is the case, let me refresh your memory about our dear old time at KHS:

1. Dewaal’s Class was the best break of the day

You just failed your Calculus exam (thanks Ms. J!!!), you drop study hall today, and nothing is going your way. So you go into Dewaal’s room, play around on the rolly chairs for a bit, and then edit or create a video for the rest of class. Other options include watching Hockey videos all class or pretending like you are doing academic work. I don’t think I could have survived KHS if it wasn’t for Dewaal’s class. Minus waking up at 7:30 and being put on camera, Mr. Dewaal with his homemade skateboarding videos and somewhat funny Dad jokes, always made my day.

2. The ridiculous sandwich line

If I knew I wanted a sandwich I would have to race there and knock a few people out for any chance at eating that sandwich during lunch time, and if i wanted it toasted too, forget it. That line was worse than getting Ellington for finance. Then they came out with that order online nonsense, who the heck even knows how to work the KHS website?! No thanks, I only bought lunch on Pasta Wednesdays.

3. The parking lottery was rigged

There is no way that people just got lucky and won three marking periods in a row. No way, someone cheated. Bribes were thrown around, parents called in, fake medical excuses were used. We can all agree that the year with barely any parking spots for Juniors was the worst year ever.

4. The Steuerer’s Spanish video… and the graduation speech

If anyone had the struggle of having Chipana as a Spanish teacher like me, then you know the year was filled with unfair grades, nonsense lessons, and random Zumba classes. But one thing made the whole year worth it and that was the video project. La Camisa was the best video I have ever seen in my entire life, and honestly I never thought it could be topped. Then came graduation day and the most legendary speech was given. Although they said little during our 4 years, the Steuerer’s impact on KHS will never be forgotten.

5. Munchies versus Taste of Reality

So yeah I guess Munchies kind of copied some of Taste’s sandwiches but let’s be honest, why can’t we just eat from both? I can never deny an original Penola’s package or Mike’s Delight but honestly if I’m hungry I am going to wherever is closest, not who I am most loyal to.

6. Mr. Dicollo is “dreamy”

Or so he thinks he is… If you went to KHS, getting bored wasn’t very hard to do especially in Health class. Therefore, if you thought Dicollo was dreamy, I sort of can see where you’re coming from, but not really. Dicollo is one of Kinnelon’s best, I will admit. He’s a great teacher, great coach, and I’m sure he would make a great partner if you’re well above 20 years old.

7. Trying to keep a party on the DL

Honestly I don’t even know how word spread so fast. I would be in A block and then by C, practically the whole school knew about any party. Unless it was Mullaney’s house. Then you could just scream it down the hallway so everyone would show up.

8. Spirit Week was the only truly fun time

Class of 2016, we triumphed. We went in strong since freshman year and we killed it. So maybe we only truly enjoyed it because we were good but honestly who cares? Between Band Day, America Day, Vblooms doing Pie Eating, and other grades getting mad at how good we were at the dance, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. One word: Unity.

9. The electronic baby dolls

I don’t even want to talk about those things, I still have scarring memories.

10. Teen Canteens were more fun than senior prom

Prom was about two things: pictures and getting down the shore or the Poconos ASAP. Teen Canteens on the other hand? I could get a sugar rush, fist pump, play bingo, dance, and be a Sumo wrestler all within the span of two hours. I’d take that over paying $600 for all my prom expenses any day.

11. AIREY

That’s it.

12. Hitting up Creek after school

If you didn’t play a winter sport for our school, then you were basically expected to have a Mountain Creek pass. I would sit in last period and just hear student’s talking about whose car they were taking up to the mountain after school. I mean what else is there to do in the winter besides go to the “Kinnelon mall” or go to the movies?

13. Only school in America without Wi-Fi

My data charges went through the month just because our school wouldn’t give up the wifi password. If you were one of the lucky ones, you could figure it out and then get kicked off a few days later again!

14. Doctor Raccine is Dad

Sophomore year, first day of school I walked into Doc’s class so nervous. I had heard he was strict, a tough grader, and had no sense of humor. What a joke. Maybe he used to be like that but Class of 2016 certainly broke his shell. Doc became a dad to many of us. Whether it was in the classroom, at a track meet, or on the sidelines of the soccer field, Doctor Racine’s sarcasm and occasional smile, are things I miss most about KHS.

15. Gym volleyball

If we weren’t playing volleyball in gym then … wait did we ever do anything else in gym? Maybe we did but this is all I remember. The school wide tournament consisted of blood, sweat, tears, and possibly a few fights in some friend groups. Everyone knew if your team should be feared or not and if you got to miss class on competition day, then you were hot sh*t.

16. Kivlon’s broken pinky

No guys seriously… I think it may have actually been broken.

17. Butler eats dirt.

Breakfast. Lunch. And Dinner. If you missed Butler versus Kinnelon games, well then I am sorry. They were pretty funny… and scary at the same time. Some fights might break out, a little dirt would be thrown, and for Butler, well they would usually get served.