The Significance of the Controversy Over Euthanasia

"Euthanasia is simply to be able to die with dignity at a moment when life is devoid of it." -Marya Mannes

841
Care.org.uk

Euthanasia, defined as the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma, stands as one of the most controversial topics of 2017. Despite euthanasia being accepted and even encouraged among animals, when it comes to humans, it is currently considered a criminal offense. However, according to a 2013 online poll titled "Should terminally ill patients be allowed to end their lives via assisted suicide?" and taken by over 8 million Americans, 66% of voters voted "Yes". 7% of voters voted "Yes, but only after a psychological examination to show they fully understand their choice" and 4% voted "Yes, but only if there is no chance they will survive their illness".

On the opposing side, 16% of American voters voted with a straight "No" and 7% voted with a "No, but they should be allowed to refuse artificial life support".

While some voters argued that the purpose of a doctor is to preserve life, not end it, others responded by stating the true purpose of a doctor is to improve the quality of one's life, even if that means helping them end their life in order to (literally) avoid a life of pain and suffering.

One voter from New York stated that "A law on suicide is as enforceable as a law against masturbation. You simply can't stop a person from doing what they wish to do. If a terminally ill person wishes to end their suffering, who am I to prevent them." To further this argument, one may point out that a law that prevents euthanasia ultimately proves itself to be not only useless but often detrimental. If one wishes to end their life, they will end it. By providing them the option of euthanasia, you are enabling one who is terminally ill to end their life in as humane, comfortable, and painless of an environment as possible. Euthanasia would allow the terminally ill to die in a peaceful manner surrounded by the love and support of their loved ones.

Ultimately, most voters opposing euthanasia explained their decision by stating only God has the right to give or take life. Many voters disagreed with this argument, stating that not everyone believes in God and no one religion should dictate the decisions of all. In addition, most voters seemed to place the idea of one's human rights and freedom of choice first.