My Brother And I Have A Bond That Cannot Be Broken No Matter How Old We Get

My brother is my best friend and we will not let growing up come between us.

360

When my brother was born, I was two years old and couldn't comprehend the fact that there was going to be another little person living with me and my parents. I wanted my mom's full attention and would tell her to "put that baby down." Little did I know, that baby was going to grow up to be my best friend.

Over the years, I have learned that a siblings' bond is one that cannot be broken. Being around Gabe since he was born has allowed me to truly know every side of him like the back of my hand. As a kid, he was a full time play mate. We played together every day, had the same friends on our street, and discovered out love for dance together. Now, as teenagers, he's my shoulder to lean on and I am his.

Moving away to college has been a learning experience for us and our relationship with each other. We are used to telling each other everything, eating lunch together in the cafeteria of our high school, and going to dance together. We spent most of our time together.

I never understood siblings who hate each other or who don't talk to each other. That just seems so strange to me since I can't imagine my life without my brother! I would probably be a completely different person if he wasn't around all the time. We have shaped each other in a way that only we can understand.

Now, I'm only 20 minutes away from home, but it feels like a completely different world. Sure, we text every day and FaceTime pretty often so we can tell each other what's going on, but its not the same. I miss laying in my bed and having him walk through the door carrying my cat. Sometimes I find myself waiting for it.

Getting adjusted to being away from home is something I'm still working on, but one thing is for sure: I am not letting growing up weaken my relationship with my brother. Soon enough, he'll be in college, too. We'll both have busy schedules and real "adult" problems to worry about. However, that doesn't mean we won't talk every day and continue to make time for each other. It just takes a little more effort than it did at home.

If you have a sibling, give them a hug. Let them know how appreciated they are. Sometimes we forget to show our gratitude to those around us, even when they play a pivotal role in our lives. I love my brother and I hope you love yours, too.