#ShowMeYourCryingFace

#ShowMeYourCryingFace

Because it's okay to be sad.

19
#ShowMeYourCryingFace
Shushkovich

So, this morning, I woke up unhappy.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to have had that happen. I had a dream that made me think about things that I didn't want to, I woke up with a sore throat and a headache, and I just was not looking forward to starting the day.

I laid there and texted a few people, but most of my friends are often really busy. This is not the first time I've woken up feeling like this, mind you -- I've been feeling a little down lately.

I've been pushing through and avoiding it, just ignoring it. I've been chipper, posting my normal amount of uplifting stuff, trying to work out; but I just couldn't get myself to feel better.

I got on my SnapChat and just starting talking about it.

"People are so quick to talk about being happy...but people don't often talk about when they're upset. Just because I post pictures of my stomach on Instagram, does not mean that my life if perfect, or that I love everything about myself, or that I don't have bad days."

It's true. I post a lot of pictures of myself. I post pictures of my stomach, of my smiling face -- I try to be uplifting. But that doesn't mean that everything in my life is always wonderful and perfect.

Let me stop and say that I am incredibly lucky. I have so many things to be grateful for. I understand that when you're this lucky (and so many of us are), you almost feel guilty for feeling anything other than sheer bliss. But you should never feel guilty for being a normal freaking human being.

It's time to break the stigma that being sad makes you weak or ungrateful or atypical: literally everyone feels that way at times.

So I want to start something small. I showed everyone on my SnapChat my "crying face", and I want you to do the same. If you didn't see the beauty that is my crying face, here's what you missed:

Because it's not about being perfect: it's about being real.

Next time you're overcome with emotions, snap a selfie and send it to someone you care about, send it to me, or even just keep it for yourself.

What's weird is that it actually does make you feel better. Being honest about being sad, asking for help, admitting that you're just a human being with thoughts and feelings: that all makes a world of a difference. Share your crying face. #ShowMeYourCryingFace