Vote. Your Future Depends On It

Vote. Your Future Depends On It

Should you vote? Yes. Yes, you should.
1

It's coming up quick, everyone. The 2016 Election is just hours away, and if you're still unsure of whether or not to vote, I'm here to remind you that you should.

Way back in May, I wrote an article about why young people should cast their vote this month. In 2012, only about half of eligible millennial voters actually went out and participated in the vote. In reality, millennials make up nearly 1/3 of the electorate. That's a third of the whole nation who will be eligible to vote on November 8th. It's been shown that 40 percent of millennials identify as non-white, making them the most diverse generation of voters yet. One of the top reasons that eligible voters give for deciding not to vote in this election is simply that they're not interested. Seriously — 13.4 percent of voters say they're declining to vote in this election because they're not interested.

If you are one of those people who is "not interested," please understand that what happens in this election will affect you. If you are not interested, become interested. Any and every upcoming election has the potential to affect your life, whether it's electing a new major or a new president. Years and years ago, women petitioned and marched and in some cases were arrested and died because they believed in their fundamental right to vote. Women's right to vote is not that old.

It's important that we make it known that the citizens of our country believe in and exercise their right to vote in our democracy. There are, unfortunately, many places in the world where this right is nonexistent — for men and women alike.