Why You Should Drink More Water

Why You Should Drink More Water

If you're mostly made of it, it is probably important.

48
Why You Should Drink More Water
Penn State University

Growing up, I was constantly told drink more water. Parents, doctors and coaches couldn’t stress it enough. “Yeah, yeah, whatever,” was always my response in my head as I quickly smiled and said agreed so they’d leave me alone. I never was really much of a water drinker. I would much rather have juice or milk with my meals. I was never one to carry around a water bottle, either. Until this past summer.

I don’t remember where we got the idea, but my best friend and I decided to see what would happen if we drank an entire gallon of water a day for a couple weeks over the summer. We wanted to see if drinking more water was really as good for you as everyone insisted.

And my gosh, it was.

Remember, I went from drinking a glass a day (if that) to drinking a gallon or more, so this “Gallon Challenge” was a huge change for me. I loved the way being hydrated felt, so I definitely drink a lot more water now that I ever did before. Water does SO MANY good things to your body. Here are just some of the important benefits drinking water has for you:

Physical Appearance: When you drink enough water, you’ll notice some changes in the way you look. I did. My skin was softer and clearer. According to WebMD, your skin will look smoother because it contains a lot of water. If you are dehydrated, so is your skin. Dehydrated skin is dry and wrinkly. Water gives you that fresh-faced look.

Aids in weight loss: WebMD says drinking a cup of water before each meal suppresses hunger, so you will feel full much quicker. Water also boosts your metabolism, which aids in weight loss.

Improves energy: Forget the coffee; drink some water! According to WebMD, if you are dehydrated, chances are it’s causing you to feel tired. Your blood contains a lot of water. To pump blood effectively, it is important to be hydrated so oxygen can reach your cells, giving you more energy.

Improves mood: WebMD says your brain is about 70% to 80% water, so consequently, being dehydrated affects the way you think. According to Mindful Living Network, drinking enough water can aid in sleep disorders and depression. A dehydrated mind is a stressed mind. Drink water so your brain can work to its fullest potential!

Cleans harmful toxins out of your system: Water is a natural cleanse for your body. Underground Health Reporter says that water helps your kidneys filter out the harmful toxins from your body, which then is flushed out through urine. If you are dehydrated, the toxins in your system build up and can cause many health problems.

Boosts immune system: According to Fit Day, water aids in the production of lymph. Your body needs lymph to bring white blood cells and nutrients to your body when you are sick. Without proper hydration, you can get sick much easier and have a harder time fighting illnesses.

Here’s the deal. People are extremely dehydrated. I know I was. I don’t know how my body functioned properly for all those years. This is a problem and nobody recognizes it.

I have a challenge for you: whatever you drink now, try adding about 4-8 more cups of water to that (8 cups is a half gallon) per day. If you’re really active and sweat like crazy, then add a full gallon to what you already drink. The point is: drink more water. Your body will thank you.