A Short, Simple, Yet Accurate Dictionary That Everyone Should Read

The correct words to use - no ifs, ands, or buts.

159
Timdiemthi

You know those words that you and your friends and family say? The words that everyone in your high school said, in your town said? Just simple words. Words that you didn't know someone would call it something differently.

I went off to college, a school full of people from different states and different countries. And all of sudden, people didn't understand some words that I were saying. Because of this, I decided to educate the world and let them know just how to correctly say words.

You're welcome.

And yes, I am from Massachusetts, so maybe that has an effect on my slang. But regardless, I do believe I am right.

1. Bubbler

A water fountain is one of those things in the middle of a park that shoots water out the middle and is very pretty. A water cooler is one of those water dispensers in an office that also has cups and a hot and warm water valve. A bubbler is the water dispenser found in a hallway that shoots water our of a spout and you drink directly out of. That's it. There's no debate.

2. Sub

It's not a hoagie, it's not a grinder it's not just a sandwich on a "long roll," and it's not just an italian. In fact, an italian is a kind of sub. And it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, if it's on a long role, it's a sub, and that's a fact. It's called Subway for a reason.

3. Remote

Now, I don't want this to come off as harsh, but to any college student of grown adult that says Clicker... you sound like a 5 year old... No offense. Just please use correct terminology and say remote. It's a remote control. Simple.

4. Rotary

Now this one, I don't have a particular grudge against, but still, this is just to educate the whole wide world. A rotary is one of those little circles in roads that helps traffic move more smoothly. Some may say traffic circle, which is a very simple term, so might as well spice it up and say rotary! And personally, I tend to call the smaller ones roundabouts while the larger ones are rotaries.

5. Package Store/Packie

Now I get it when you go to that store that only sells alcohol, you might be inclined to call it a Liquor Store. But to most of the people I know, we call it the Packie or the Package Store! And for the longest time I never knew why we called it that, but recently, I found out why! These stores in states such as Massachusetts must "package" your purchase like in a sealed bottle or container! Makes sense!!

6. Jimmies

So I work in an ice cream shop, so this one is crucial for me! Sprinkles and Jimmies always seems to be a debate in my shop, though. For me, personally, I consider jimmies to be chocolate and sprinkles to be rainbow. Some people say that they are all jimmies, and you either get chocolate jimmies or rainbow jimmies. And then there are some people who don't even use the word jimmies and have no idea what I'm talking about!!! It's absurd! But yes, to be fair, if you come up to me at the shop and ask for jimmies on your mint chocolate chip, I will ask you to clarify if you would like chocolate or rainbow... I just want you to have the best ice cream ever!!!!

7. Frappe

Again, like I said, I work in an ice cream shop, so also this is crucial to me!! If you come up to me and say you want a Milkshake, I'm going to ask if you actually want a drink with ice cream, milk, and syrup, otherwise known as a FRAPPE. A Milkshake is technically just milk and syrup, and I know if you go to an ice cream shop, you most likely want ice cream... But I gotchu. One frappe coming up!

And no, it does not have coffee in it! (unless you want coffee ice cream, of course!!)

Also, some people may call it a cabinet!!! So keep that in mind!

8. Scallop

Now, this one isn't a whole other term for this delicious mollusk. It is simply the pronunciation. Please do not say sc-AY-llop. Instead, pronounce it correctly by saying sc-au-llup/sco-llup, please and thank you.

9. Regular (in terms of coffee)

To all my Dunks, Marylou's and Starbucks friends, I gotchu. Regular means you would like your coffee with cream and sugar. If you want it without them, just say black. Plain and simple.

I completely understand that some words have synonyms, but there are some words that just are what they are and some people just don't seem to understand… BUT too each his own.