Sexist for president!
Politics

Sexist for president!

Trump and Sexism

71
Sexist for president!
forbes

"And because of Hillary Clinton, my daughters - and all our sons and daughters - now take for granted that a woman can be president of the United States," Obama said. Whether you are a democrat or a republican this is something you can’t deny. You can't deny the fact that even if Hillary Clinton does not become president, she still cracked the huge glass ceiling, that is separating woman from presidency, this past week.

Most people know that statistically, women are paid less than men. On average, a woman is paid 78 cents for every dollar that a man is paid. Now that doesn’t seem like much at first, but think about this: If a man receives an hourly pay of $20 an hour for 40 hours a week, he will make $800 a week. Now, by this statistic alone, if a woman was doing the exact same job, for the same number of hours, she would only receive $15.60 an hour for a total of $624 a week. Over the course of a year, the man would make almost $10,000 more than the woman. Due to this, Hillary Clinton is a huge advocate for closing the women’s wage gap in our country.

Recently, the idea of a woman being president has started to create change. I believe it is because it helps show that woman can hold the same jobs as men. I am not stating that Hillary Clinton is the perfect candidate for this position, but small children don’t see all the facts in politics. Many girls are pushed out from an early age, by being called bossy if they take charge. I believe that by having a woman show that it is possible to become president, it can help these young girls understand that it is okay to take charge.

Now both candidates have said many things over the course of the election. Both have said things about women’s right. However, Donald Trump over his career has made many sexist comments toward women, either on social media or in the work place. An example of one is a statement he made while George W. Bush was president, Trump spoke to Esquire magazine about the media and said: "You know, it doesn't really matter what [they] write as long as you've got a young and beautiful piece of ass." Is this the standard we want to tell our daughters, the future workers and mothers of the next generation? How do you begin to explain to a girl that her worth is measured by her looks, never her brains?

In my opinion, one of the most shocking statements Trump made was in 2013. A woman asked if she could be the next project manager for a project that Trump was working on. Donald Trump decided that this was a wonderful opportunity to make an oral sex joke, hinting that a sexual act was the only way she would receive a promotion. Our possible future president has also stated in a tweet that the military should know that if they put men and women together, we should expect that sexual assaults will happen. To me, this indirectly states that it is not the “attackers” fault”. This is not what we need to be telling people who are victims of a sexual assault, they are already struggling with their emotional and physical pain.

The U.S. ranks #69 among countries with the highest percentage of women in government. Countries that have a higher percentage of women include countries such as Tajikistan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Uganda. Will Trump really help women hold higher positions in government when he barely lets them hold positions in his own company?

Even if this man, perhaps our next president, or his wife say that they will close the wage gap, will they? Or will he want all the women in the White House to “get on their knees” to fight for our rights. Well, Trump better watch out, because the last thing you want is an angry woman near your members.

I understand that Hillary is not the best candidate either, but I believe if Trump becomes president, then this glass ceiling that Hillary cracked will be sealed with four years, if not longer, of sexist comments and struggle for women equality.

Information retrieved from the following:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/donald-t...

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/womens-right...

dailykos.com/story/2012/9/27/1137274/-The-Gender-Gap-Percentage-of-Women-in-Government-Worldwide-We-re-Number-One-Right-Not-So-Much