A Server's Definitive Guide To Downtown Grand Forks, ND

What I tell my tables who ask, "Where should I go drink tonight?"

247
Community Foundation of Grand Forks

As a server, you get to meet and experience people from all walks of life. Sure, most of my tables are good ole Grand Forks townies, but I definitely get to see a healthy mix of people from all over. This usually leads to those out-of-town tables asking questions about the area, like “where is Target?” or “how do I get to Menards?” (one time someone even asked me where they should go out to eat…). However, all my coworkers and I agree on the best question ever from non-Forks tables: “what are your bars like? Where should I go drink tonight?”. Oh boy. This question has led to lengthy discussions, impromptu hand-drawn maps, and even new friends. After having done all of the above for my tables (and others’) multiple times, I decided it would be wise to put all this information in one place. This way, next time a table asks me “what bar should I go to around here?”, they will have a definitive guide. So, here is how I and my fellow servers usually break down downtown Grand Forks, North Dakota for our visitors:

Bonzers

We usually tell them to follow the traditional “21st birthday” route. Start your night at Bonzers: slightly far away from the rest of the bars, but once you get a tea in you’ll be ready to go (and it’ll keep you warm!). I always urge my tables that they must go try a Bonzers tea, as it is an essential part of the GF experience. If they are a female table, I warn them about Happy, the notoriously creepy old man who hangs at the bar.

The Loft

Following the birthday track, The Loft comes next. This place garners mixed reviews from townies and college students alike. I, personally, am a fan – the free pool tables and plethora of games always makes for a good time. Some argue it has weird seating, some just get mad because they can hunt down fakes pretty quick. Yet, we can all agree that a good old inventory makes the place worth a visit.

Brick & Barley

Okay, personally this is my favorite stop. I always tell the tables to stop in if they like beer – because damn do they have beer. It’s a fun place, every kind of beer you can imagine, and especially cute bartenders (okay, that might be a little opinionated but I’m sure plenty of others agree). Their karaoke is rumored to be a pretty great time too.

O’Really’s

Well, my parents said this is their favorite place, so that’s really saying something. With probably the most notorious karaoke downtown (because keep in mind El Roco does not reside in the DT area), it’s always a fun time. Also a plus: no cell service so you can’t text people you’re not supposed to!

Level 10

One of my tables this summer told me he wanted to meet “ratchet women,” so I directed him here. This is not to say that Level 10 solely attracts that crowd, but it is more likely than others to do so. Regardless, no hate towards it whatsoever – I know people who love it and have the time of their lives dancing. I mean, it is the only place in GF where you can dance your ass off and nobody bats an eye.

Joe Black’s

The mecca of Grand Forks. I tell my tables they at least need to make a stop in here towards the end of the night just for the experience. It’s ridiculous, it’s crowded, it’s pretty nasty, and it’s Grand Forks. Always the last stop of the night, JBs brings with it all the spills, puke, and randos you can imagine. Some complain of the overcrowding, others find it hilarious to watch. Either way, you will have a memorable (or maybe not so memorable) experience.