8 Things Every Server Wants You To Know

8 Things Every Server Wants You To Know

I'm your server, not your servant.

649
https://www.pexels.com/photo/clear-wine-glass-on-table-67468/

With over two million waiters and waitresses throughout the country, the world somehow still needs to be educated on how a restaurant works. Here's a crash course.

1. Servers DEPEND on tips.

You knew you'd be seeing this one when you clicked on this article because some people STILL don't get it.

So let me break it down for ya.

Servers make next to nothing in hourly wages. The service industry standard in the state of Florida is three to four dollars an hour on average. Plus, servers are taxed like crazy because they're tipped. So all those hourly wages get eaten up by taxes, social security, etc. etc.

Which basically means our paychecks are crap. Our entire livelihood literally depends on our tips. Tips that we work really hard for.

Now I'm not saying you should tip your waitress hundreds of dollars out of pocket or feel pressured to #tipthebill at every dinner out.

But definitely don't assume you can undertip because you're thinking, "Hey, she works at this fancy restaurant, so I'm sure she gets paid well." She doesn't. I promise.

2. When you undertip, or don't tip at all, we have to tip our coworkers out of pocket.

Most every restaurant, depending on its size, has at least one service bartender and two to three food runners and/or bussers. These absolute angels are the ones that pour your beers and blend your milkshakes (which is a huge pain in the butt, in case you didn't know), and carry those heavy plates of food to your table and buss them when you leave.

And since you aren't expected to tip them for their hard work, your friendly neighborhood servers do! Out of the tip you left for us.

Let's say your service wasn't great. I get it. Sometimes it's not. Or you mistakenly think your server makes enough hourly (please refer back to point #1), so you leave a five percent tip—or maybe none at all. Guess what! You still had those wonderful bar drinks, and you still ate food, so now your server has to tip out of pocket for your meal. Because we still had the help regardless of whether you tipped or not.

And it's not fair for our bartenders and food runners to not get paid because you don't know how a restaurant works. Because SURPRISE! They don't make anything hourly either!

3. We hate splitting the check.

We will play it off like it's not a big deal—because we still want your tip—but splitting a check up more than two ways is THE most annoying thing in the world.

I know it seems simple. And you might have been super considerate by letting us know at the beginning of the meal. But it's still multiple more checks to process, more numbers to add up at the end of the night, and more time consuming.

It's a nuisance. Just Venmo each other or something.

4. Don't push tables together--or at least ask first.

Y'all know good and well that more than one server works in this restaurant. There are sections. So when your buddies come join you for dinner unexpectedly (which alone is hella annoying) and start dragging tables together—pulling from all different sections—y'all mess everything up. Literally everything. Our seating rotation, our guest count... And not to mention you're literally taking business (money) away from other servers.

So you basically just became the biggest jerks in the restaurant. And most managers will have you put the tables back. Don't be those guys. No one likes those guys.

5. Don't switch seats. Ever.

You ever wonder how those lovely food runners know whose food is whose, even though you've never seen them before in your life? That's because we use seat numbers.

Seat numbers are great. Magical even. Your server takes your order and rings it in according to which seat you're in, and then the food runner knows exactly where to bring each specific dish.

Great right? Seems pretty fool proof?

It is until y'all decide to play musical chairs.

Then we have to call out the food like a freaking cattle auction.

And now suddenly no one can remember what they ordered twenty minutes ago.

And now it's a mess. I'm a mess. You're a mess. Everything's a mess.

6. Don't say you have an allergy if you just don't like something.

Food allergies are serious, severe, and require a whole bunch of extra precautions to keep our guests—WHO ARE ACTUALLY ALLERGIC—safe.

To say you are allergic to something just because you don't like it is literally faking an illness. I don't have to tell you how messed up that is.

Not only that, but you're going to make me stop and talk to my chef, write a special allergy ticket, and do several other safety procedural steps when I already have a billion other things to do?

Just tell me you don't like mushrooms, Karen.

7. Servers are superheros.

I didn't realize how physical waiting tables was until I got into the biz. And let me tell you, it's hard on your body. I'm sore after every shift. (And I'm young!)

In an average sized restaurant, a server will burn at least 750 calories in a six-hour shift between walking back in forth to the kitchen and carrying heavy trays of drinks. Not to mention, servers don't get breaks.

And you know those little old lady servers that have been in the industry for years? Their tray arms = RIPPED. Believe me

Servers are tanks, man.

8. IF YOU SNAP AT ME I WILL KILL YOU.

I don't need your tip that bad.

You can take your "can I speak to your manager" haircut somewhere else.

Now that we're all on the same page, get out there! Go out to eat your favorite restaurants—share your newfound consideration with your friends in the service industry!. We need more people like you in the world.

And remember to take care of your servers, because they take care of you.