Serendipitious Moments Are The Best Memories

Serendipity is the essence of happiness in our lives; embrace these moments well.

15

Have you ever had one of those moments in time where a chance meeting with someone turned into a reunion of a mentor you haven't seen in so long? It's one of those moments you'll only hear about in love stories or friendship stories.

This past weekend of the 12th of October, I was reunited with a teacher whom I haven't seen for 12 years. How that happened is still surreal to me because I was not expecting to run into her husband who used to go to my university a decade ago.

I was just doing my own thing about to go home when a group of school alumni members walked by. I recognized one of them to be my teacher's husband. I turned and called out his name. It took him a second to recognize who I was. He then took a selfie with me and sent the picture to her. As expected, she freaked out, and then that night, I sent her a text to let her know that I was thinking of her! She then asked me if she could see me the next day.

The next evening, a friend offered to drive me down to the school to meet her. I walked towards the Mission Church near the university, my steps getting faster and faster as I ran towards her waiting arms. She wore a black dress combo with reds. Even from a far distance, I could see and feel her smile. Sure enough, there she was, waiting for me on the steps and when she saw me, moved towards me with her arms spread out. I spread my arms out, collapsing in the warmth of her embrace, a teacherly love, finally enveloping me after 12 years of busyness that prevented us from reuniting face to face.

Her embrace felt like heaven, The warmth that envelopes me transported me back to my 7th-grade year. Back then, I was a shy student. I was quiet and tended to keep to myself. My 7th-grade self was somehow resurrected. I breathed heavily in her arms, struggling to hold back tears. I managed to do so and then let go of her.

"Come over here, I have something for you!" She led me towards the steps and we sat down. Her voice was just the same, only this time, I have grown since then. I was allowed to call her by her first name but I was used to calling her Mrs. and then her last name. We caught up on 12 years of our lives She still remembered me, still calls me 'kiddo', and other terms of endearment that only favorite teachers have for their favorite students. I'd like to say, all of my teachers basically 'raised' me in terms of uplifting my passions and knowing how to motivate me when I 'm discouraged.

Just a few weeks ago, I, like many other seniors was stressing out about finishing classes. I found other ways to cope with the stress. That day, I didn't expect to run into such serendipity. Sometimes, we are discouraged because life gets in the way, but if we hold on them hope, something like this could happen, making life a little bit easier to cope. It doesn't matter where we are in life and how we choose to handle it, serendipitous moments are bound to make us feel a bit breathless because we know what love and heaven feel like.

This day was unforgettable mainly because I realized how much my teacher cared about me, and knowing that she remembered me all these years prove that time can make the heart fonder.

If you're blessed to have teachers and mentors by your side, and then to see them years later, consider yourself blessed because not everyone will have these rare moments in their lives. Be thankful, be grateful and be kind to your teachers and mentors. You matter to them as much as they matter to you.