Senioritis: A Warning

Senioritis: A Warning

Learn from my mistakes, don't let senioritis ruin your last semester

15
Senioritis: A Warning
Bianca Taylor

At the end of my Junior year, everyone was telling me to be careful of senioritis, also known as the complete lack of motivation for anything because you know it's almost over. Personally, I disregarded all these comments because I did not think I was the type of person to experience senioritis. I depend on my agenda, I stay super organized, and I always turn in assignments the way before they are due. All I could think about was finally walking across that stage, and moving on to medical school. How wrong was I...Here we are in November, and I had no idea about any of midterms, I've turned in multiple assignments late, and I just…didn't care anymore. I thought I was immune to senioritis, but I may have been the most susceptible. So many things just seemed more important than classes. I spent the last four years solely focusing on my education, and now I want to have. Going out every weekend, turned into going out every day. Skipping one class a month, turned into skipping a class a week...or not going at all. I couldn't even tell you the last time I used my agenda, and my agenda is my life! Before I knew, I was overwhelmed with late assignments, horrible grades, and anxiety about begging my teachers for extensions. With only a few weeks left before finals, I quickly realized (this weekend) that I need to get my act together. Thankfully, many of my courses offer extra credit assignments, and I spent my whole weekend attempting to bring my grades back to where I knew they should be. However, not everyone is so lucky. Moral of the story being, if you think you are immune to senioritis – it might really sneak up on you. It is so easy to forget about all responsibilities when you have the justification of "It's my last year! I'll never be able to do this again," but you might find yourself right back in the same lecture next semester if you don't set aside sometime for your courses. Graduation may seem like right around the corner, but it can be quickly taken away if you allow yourself to fall too deep into senioritis.