Self-Care Isn't Selfish, And It's Not What You'd Think

Self-Care Isn't Selfish, And It's Not Always What You'd Think

What even is self-care, anyway?

149
Brittany Creech

We all get so busy and caught up with our lives. We have jobs to do, some have school to do, and then we have friendships and relationships we give so much of our time and effort to.

While these things are all undoubtedly important, sometimes while giving our all to them, we forget what should be our number one priority: ourselves.

I don't mean that at all in a selfish way. By no means am I suggesting to always be selfish in a manner that is disrespectful to others or to throw responsibilities to the side, they still matter? What I am suggesting is to realize that self-care is not at all selfish. Also, it's so crucial.

It is so important that we take the time to care for ourselves and keep ourselves healthy and happy. Self-care looks like a lot of things, and there are a lot of ways to make it happen.

I think when a lot of people hear this term their brains automatically go "face masks! bath bombs!" but while face masks and bath bombs are awesome (and totally might be a small part of your self-care!), they're not exactly what I'm talking about, here.

Sometimes self-care means trying to get your mental health back on track, whatever that means for you. For me, for example, it's seeing a counselor, because I've found it's very beneficial for me to talk through certain things and find ways to cope with my depression that way.

Another one is journaling, I cannot tell you how awesome journaling has been for me. It not only helps me to get out my thoughts, but also to work through them and organize them, and it's such a freeing feeling.

Sometimes self-care is distancing yourself from people who are not good to you or for you. I'm not saying to go and be mean to people or cut everyone off.

But, if someone is causing you more pain than happiness, and you're sure you've been at least the best you can be to them, maybe it's time to distance yourself. Knowing when you've had enough is different than just giving up. And it is absolutely okay to do that.

Sometimes self-care is finding a new hobby or getting back into one you used to love. Sometimes we get so busy and caught up that we forget to do things that we love to do. Find things you love that bring you joy, if you're never doing things you genuinely love, you're doing yourself a huge disservice.

Sometimes self-care is reading a book, taking a break from social media, reconnecting with an old friend, getting your nails or hair done, traveling, going for a walk, heck, even just taking a long shower and taking the day off. It can be so many different things.

We have to remember to make self care a priority and know it is okay to do so.