8 Times Self-Care For Anxious Minds Was Not Just Bath Bombs And Yoga

A how-to guide to relaxation

100

Nowadays, you can't even look on Facebook without seeing tips on self-love and self-care.

My own personal journey, which is still ongoing and will continue for the rest of my life, has been a rough one. There's been a lot of ups and downs, but in the end, I'm very pleased with the decisions I've made. Here are some super helpful self-care tips for worried minds.

1. Mason Jar Thoughts

If you ever feel like you're not doing enough, buy a mason jar. Buy a pack of multicolored Post-It notes, and every time you do something memorable, write down what you did on the Post-It note, and watch the mason jar fill it. Whenever you feel sad, just look at the jar and remember all of the amazing things you've done in the time it's taken you to fill up that jar.

2. Excise the toxicity, one person at a time

Cutting people off may seem impossible, but we all have those friends who make us feel unimportant, the ones who don't really care about our success, or the ones who don't understand why your feelings are hurt by the things they said or did. Putting those friends on a shorter leash will be good for you to finally let them go in the long run. You'll be happier and feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

3. When you feel overwhelmed, ground yourself

This one really works for me. When I find myself getting worked up over certain things that should not get me worked up, I always remember a few things like where I am, who I’m with (if anyone at all) and bring myself back to reality. For example, right now, I would say I am sitting at my desk. It is 10:21 on a Thursday morning, it’s surprisingly warm out today. Then make a declarative statement like “I’m going to have a good day”, and believe that until it happens, even if nothing happens that’s worthy of said statement. Putting it out into the universe is powerful in its own way.

4. Try art therapy!

Not all of us are artists, but for some reason, putting my phone down and just painting something is very calming. Putting your focus on what colors to use and how to blend something together usually helps calm an anxious mind.

5. Read some poetry or other works of literature.

For me, poetry always works. I focus on how the words flow together rather than what’s making me so anxious.

6. Write down your goals for the week.

This is what usually helps me keep track of what I have to do, will do and have done. Your goals can be anything from “get out of bed at 845 AM for 4 out of 7 days of the week”, “get at least a B on that exam coming up”, to “talk to that cute guy you’ve seen around campus”.

7. Go to bed early, why not?

Sometimes we all need it. It’s okay to go to bed at 9:30 PM on a Saturday night instead of being with your friends. We all have those days, why not take advantage of them?

8. DRINK WATER!

As silly as this sounds, it’s the truth. I personally drink about 3 32 oz bottles of water a day, and it helps with my skin, my moods and replenishes me after a long day. Simple things can make you feel more accomplished, try increasing your water intake by a few ounces and see how good you feel the day after.

Be kind to yourself. Self-care is not just bubble baths and face masks. It’s about being selfish, and most of all, being kind to your body and your mind. Have some you time. Unplug yourself from the world. And remember that you are spectacular.