What Is Selective Mutism?

What Is Selective Mutism?

Yes, it's a real thing.

101
What Is Selective Mutism?
Anxiety

Language disorders can be defined as impairments having to do with the process of linguistic information. Problems can include speech barriers, language deficiencies, and grammar difficulties.

The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association distinguishes language disorders by two age groups: adult and children. One of the many disorders that is solely unique to children with language barriers is called Selective Mutism. Mostly found in children no younger than five years of age, this disorder is rare; it is found in less than 1% of the American population. Selective Mutism, however, is due to environmental, biological, and cognitive reasons that cannot be overlooked. This disorder has various effects, and can easily be avoided through psychological conditioning, and specific treatment.

The cause of Selective Mutism varies from child to child. Many studies suggest that the disorder stems from an anxiety disorder, a speech problem, or self-esteem issues. Through careful and thorough examination of the child’s school, home, and public life, a psychologist can determine whether or not the child experiences Selective Mutism. Selective Mutism is the inability for a child to express opinions, voice, and emotions in specific environments; usually school. The disorder is often recognized as soon as possible, when the child begins school. Environmental and biological factors can also play a role in the cause of Selective Mutism; abuse and mental history can greatly affect a child at such an impressionable age. Selective Mutism is often referred to after the possibility of Autism or a communication disorder has been ruled out. The physical condition of their body is also examined; analyzing their ears, eyes, and muscle movements for any sign of distress or paralysis that could contribute to the mutism. Selective Mutism, in short, can be caused due to a variety of factors, and is easily recognizable amongst toddlers beginning school.

Treatment is offered readily for children with Selective Mutism. If treated early, the disorder can be addressed through a specified behavioral treatment unique to the child. One treatment involves the child in a relaxed state of mind, conversing with a familial person. This action gradually advances to submerging the child in a new environment and eventually talking with a stranger (stimulus fading). Another treatment, called shaping, uses a structured approach to exercise all efforts in order to urge the child to communicate; this can advance from hand gestures to gradually being comfortable with audible speech. With help from the child’s teachers, the program will benefit to target inner fears and anxiety about public speaking. These generalized speaking situations will blossom into a learned communication behavior that can be translated into other speaking situations.

Selective Mutism is rare, but prevalent in many children in America. Children with Selective Mutism can also develop other social disorders that can be detrimental to their career as a citizen. Such programs are exceptional and easy to administer to children with the disorder, but many go undiagnosed. Pediatricians and school nurses should examine adolescents every school year to determine their speaking status, and execute the appropriate measures to cope with Selective Mutism.