Seeing A Therapist Is A Sign Of Strength, Not Weakness

Sometimes life gets tough and it’s okay to ask for help.
318

When life isn’t all that great to you, it’s important to have someone to talk to -- someone that you can trust to give you the right advice or words of encouragement. Seeing a therapist is something that is not widely talked about, and I’m not sure why. Therapy can be helpful for a multitude of reasons- depression, anxiety, death of a loved one, divorce, relationship issues, gender identity issues, self-harm, eating disorders. For whatever reason(s) you see a therapist, you have hopefully reaped the same benefits as I have. Talking to a therapist does not make you weak, and it does not make you crazy. If it makes you anything, it makes you strong. It makes you brave. Being strong enough to build up the courage to admit that you need help managing your feelings is something you should be proud of -- not ashamed of.

Seeing a therapist is an outlet that everyone should explore. Being in therapy does not mean lying on a couch, being asked “How does that make you feel?” by an old man smoking a pipe with a clipboard. It is a wonderful feeling to have someone who is not a friend or family member to listen to you. Your therapist won't judge you, and you don’t have to worry that you are a burden on them -- it is their job to listen to you and care. Yes, you can talk to a friend, but they don’t always know what to say, and that’s okay. A therapist is specially educated to give you the advice and support that you need. When you find the right one, your therapist will quickly become a friend, someone you can trust. Another benefit of having a therapist is the guaranteed confidentiality -- you don’t have to worry about him or her giving away your deepest darkest secrets. They are safe with them.

It's okay to not be okay, but it is not okay to bottle up your emotions. Sometimes, you have to put your pride aside and ask for help. If you or someone you know is struggling and doesn't know where to start, talk to your doctor for therapist recommendations in your area.