Seattle Proves They Are Not Back To Contender Status Yet

The Seahawks sent a message loud and clear Sunday, but it wasn't the message any 12 wanted to hear.

40
Seattle Seahawks

Anyone who knows me knows about my immense passion for the Seattle Seahawks. I practically bleed college navy and action green. Like millions of other fans, I patiently wait for months on end for the new season to start back up again and consume as much of it as I can. This past offseason was no different as hyped as I was for Seattle’s September 10th opener. However, throughout the spring and the summer I believed one unfortunate truth: I could not bring myself to think that the Seattle Seahawks could be considered truly legitimate contenders until they finally improved the offensive line and became more consistent on that side of the ball in general. During a 4-0-preseason run this August I allowed myself to feel optimism about the line. They hadn’t suddenly turned into the Cowboys line, but they were giving Wilson adequate time to throw and opening decent holes for our backs to make an impact. I felt as if this might finally be the culmination of Pete Carroll’s and John Schneider’s master plan for the unit. Then Sunday happened.

An abysmal 17-9 loss to the Green Bay Packers was a depressingly sobering reminder that the preseason isn’t always an accurate indicator of what is to come in the regular season. Watching every pressure surrendered to Wilson, and every stuffed run or tackle for a loss, I slowly began to realize that what I believed in the offseason was confirmed. No one can truly call this team a legitimate Super Bowl caliber team, and nor should they. Not right now, at least.

Yes, I am aware that our defense is as stacked as its been since 2013. Yes, I am aware that Russell Wilson and Earl Thomas are both healthy. Yes, I am aware that Sheldon Richardson makes a fearsome front seven that much more imposing and that the defense played exceptionally hard. Let me ask you this: did any of those things actually matter in the end ? The result was still an 0-1 start to the season. What we witnessed at Lambeau looked an awful lot like last year’s 9-3 loss to the Rams, the shocking 6-6 tie to the Cardinals, and a frustrating 14-5 loss to the Buccaneers. Those three road games resulted in a pathetic 0-2-1 record, and if it weren’t for a missed field goal from Chandler Catanzaro that tie could very well have made it 0-3. No, this isn’t an overreaction. After falling to the Packers, this marks the fourth time within a year that the Seahawks have failed to score even a single touchdown in a game. FOUR TIMES. That’s a stat you’d expect to hear about the Jets, not from an offense as talented as Seattle’s. This is now four unbelievably impressive performances by the defense that the offense has completely squandered.

I am also painfully aware that the officiating was horrific beyond all measure. Some of the worst since the replacement referees. Yet I've always believed that if you set yourself up to lose tragically, you're probably going to lose tragically. It wasn't the refs fault Seattle couldn't block or capitalize against an exceptionally average Packers defense. Instead, the Pack completely imposed their will upon the Seahawks and manhandled them throughout. Is anyone honestly looking forward to our match-ups against the Rams or the Cardinals defensive fronts with any kind of confidence? What about Philadelphia or Dallas? You know, the same Dallas team that made a Giants squad with eerily similar offensive struggles look even worse than the Seahawks.

The offensive line is truly a mess, and while it does limit what type of offense the team can operate, the real sin here is that the coaching staff on that side of the ball has yet to figure it out. The blame for that falls squarely upon the shoulders of everyone’s favorite beleaguered offensive coordinator, Darrell Bevell. Once more, the offense looks lost and completely reliant upon the Legion of Boom to do anything against the opponent. Bevell is still insistent about trying to run a clock-controlling style of offense that is capable of long sustained scoring drives. The Seahawks simply do not have the line that would accommodate such a style. Run on first down, stuffed. Long outside run, tackled for a loss. Third and long, Russell is either sacked or only has time to throw to a receiver who is well short of a first down. Lather, rinse, and repeat. The best the Seahawks look offensively is when they run the up-tempo no-huddle style of play. Unfortunately, it always takes them being down a minimum of two scores for them to even consider using it instead of just starting off the game with some early points.

This is not an obituary for the 2017 Seahawks. They will continue to feast on the bottom feeders of the NFL, earn double-digit wins and make it to the playoffs. But as it stands right now I don't see how in their present state they will be able to knock off any opponent worth their salt. I have not given up complete hope that they won’t figure it out, but the clock is ticking. Unless something is done to seriously address these glaring issues, like perhaps a coaching change or trading Graham for a left tackle, the Seahawks will be sprinting towards another blowout divisional round loss. Hopefully this was the wake-up call they desperately needed.

Now, as per-usual, time for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The Good - As unfortunate as this game was, it wasn't completely devoid of positives. The Sheldon Richardson trade appears to have made the instant impact we were all hoping for. The Seahawk defensive line gave the most consistent pressure I've seen them give in years.

The Bad - I know I'm not placing a lot of the blame for this loss on the officiating, but that was just awful. Three distinct instances where the game was changed in favor of the Packers. Instead of protesting the NFL for Colin Kaepernick or those who choose to sit during the anthem, maybe protest for better referees.

The Ugly - Eddie Lacy. I hate to rag on the guy, I really do. He seems like a quality human who tries to work hard. I'm rooting for him, I truly am. But three yards on five carries will not get the job done.

Looking ahead - The Seahawks return to the friendly confines of CenturyLink Field where they will enjoy a much more favorable match-up against the hapless 49ers. The 49ers have lost 7 straight to the Seahawks by an average score of 25-10. Seattle should take heed, however, as this was the game last year that caused Russell Wilson's lingering knee injury and nearly upset them in week 17. San Francisco's defense is better than people give them credit for, and are clearly looking for some semblance of revenge over the hated division rivals. Seattle should win handily, but they shouldn't take anything for granted.