Seahawks Send A Statement: They're Still Here

Seattle returns to the top of the division, and gets their 2017 campaign back on track.

95
Twitter | Seahawks

Seahawks – 16

Rams – 10

Is it just me, or do the Seahawks feel like they’ve earned a new lease on life this season? This wasn’t just any old week five win, nor was this just a feel-good revenge game over the Rams who have reached a Pittsburg Steelers level of hate among Seattle fans. No, this was a win that has changed the perception of the 2017 Seattle Seahawks as they reminded the rest of the football world that they won’t go gentle into that good night. The Seahawks aren’t close to a perfect team, but winning a game hardly anyone thought they would shows they still have that “it” factor that only the top teams have. As Richard Sherman put it, their "demise was greatly overstated."

All week long, the talk of the NFL was how the Rams were going to show the country that they had taken the next step by dethroning the struggling Seahawks as top dogs in the NFC West. They were going to prove to everyone that they were a legitimate team, not just for the division but perhaps for the entire conference. The cynics, including myself, had bought into the hype just enough to be fearful of a beat down from the hated Rams. Even the most optimistic fans were skeptical that Seattle could pull off a victory. After all, this was the League’s number one scoring offense and had looked quite convincing in their three wins thus far this season.

Somebody forgot to tell the Seahawks all that, as they marched into the Coliseum and wrestled the division lead away from Los Angeles. The Rams high caliber offense that had been averaging 35.5 points per game looked about as threatening as a Dollar Tree water pistol as they were held to a measly ten points. The best the Rams looked all day was their opening drive, which was ended when Earl Thomas forced dynamic running back Todd Gurley to fumble right at the goal line resulting in a touchback for Seattle. A textbook example of Seattle’s “defend every blade of grass” philosophy had set the tone. Gurley, who had been stampeding over opposing defenses all year, was held to 50 total yards on 16 touches and averaging only 3.1 yards per play. Containing Gurley to pedestrian numbers threw Los Angeles’ offensive rhythm off track, and no one felt it more than quarterback Jared Goff. The second-year signal caller who was looking like he was perhaps in the midst of a breakout season turned back into a pumpkin as the extra pressure of having to be the focal point of the offense made him crumble. He threw two brutal interceptions (one of which went to a defensive lineman), had a costly fumble and barely completed 46% of his passes. Simply put, Goff looked like the Goff we all know and love.

There is one major reason why the Rams fell back to Earth: the Legion of Boom. Seattle’s defense put in yet another outstanding performance, completely smothering any momentum the Rams tried to gain all afternoon. If Sunday’s game was the only football you’ve ever watched, then you would be forgiven if you thought the term “ball hawk” was coined entirely because of the Seahawks defense. Nothing could describe their performance any better, as Seattle forced an astonishing five turnovers from the Rams. By shutting down Gurley and forcing Goff to throw more, Seattle had the freedom to unleash their deadly pass rush full tilt. The relentless pressure from Michael Bennett and Frank Clark wore the stout Rams offensive line down. Where the Seahawks defense truly shined in the red zone by holding Los Angeles to only three points in their five total visits. In a game where points were at a premium, not allowing more than three while in prime position to score made all the difference.

I would be remiss if I did not give praise to the offensive side of the ball. Yes, the line is still mostly a mess. Yes, there were exceedingly questionable play calls (looking at you Bevell for running a slow developing trick play with Tanner McEvoy). Yes, the running game still has consistency issues to work out. While all of those statements were true, I saw the Seahawks offense take a step in the right direction. They were airing it out more in the first half by taking more shots down the field, and Russ started to use his legs more to extend drives. Sure, his interception he threw was one of the worst decisions we’ve ever seen him make, but he was damn near flawless after that. Following the pick, Russ finished the half 15-19 with a touchdown to Jimmy Graham, his first of the year. Speaking of Graham, this was one of the few times Seattle finally figured out how to utilize him as he spent 90% of his snaps lined up on the outside. Here’s hoping that trend continues. Seattle’s lone touchdown drive of the day was a beautiful 15 play, seven-minute drive. Such a clock eating, touchdown drive is something that has been sorely missing, and something that the defense desperately needed in the southern California heat.

Yes, this offense is still a work in progress, but biggest takeaway overall is that they finally delivered just enough during another superhuman effort by the defense to secure a win. Their first over the Rams on the road since 2013, and Russell’s second ever. They scored enough points to keep the Rams hunting for a late touchdown instead of a field goal at the end of the game and held the ball long enough to keep the LOB fresh. When the defense is still displaying this level of play, that’s all we really need the offense to be.

The Good

They say that the Earth is 70% covered by water, but the rest is covered by Earl Thomas. The MVP of this game was no doubt, Earl, as he was everywhere. Thomas bailed out the Seahawks on the first Rams drive by karate chopping the ball out of Gurley’s hands right at the goal line and intercepted an errant Goff pass to allow the offense to kill more time. Earl is building an excellent resume for not only comeback player of the year but perhaps defensive player of the year. During the Sunday Night Football pregame show, NBC’s Rodney Harrison even called Earl a future hall of famer. If he keeps putting on shows like that, all three of those titles could very well be attainable. Honorable mention to Sheldon Richardson and Frank Clark. Richardson, who earned his first career interception snagging it away from Gurley in the red zone, and recovered Goff’s fumble that set up Seattle’s final field goal. Who caused that fumble? Oh yeah, Frank Clark did by beating Rams tackle Andrew Whitworth badly. Losing Cliff Avril for perhaps the rest of the season is a blow, but Frank Clark certainly softens it.

The Bad

The Los Angeles Rams “fan” base. Going into Sunday’s game, the Rams were 3-1 and actually offensively exciting. Despite that, and the fact they would be hosting their arch-rivals from the Pacific Northwest, there wasn’t even close to a sell-out crowd. Entire sections of the Coliseum were empty, and the LA “faithful” were drowned out by the visiting 12’s who made a road game feel like home for the Seahawks. Los Angeles is just not a professional football town and each week that becomes more readily apparent.

The Ugly

This week, the ugliest thing about the Rams weren’t even on the field. I’m talking about the Rams hideous regular uniforms. Sunday, the Rams wore their sweet royal and gold throwbacks, which only highlighted the fact that what they wear normally just pales in comparison. The white horns on the helmet matched with a navy and gold jersey while wearing light blue and white pants? The Rams look like the little kid who mashed all the uniform options on Madden together. Whenever I say I dislike the white horns, someone always feels the need to tell me “Well, you know that was their original look.” Yeah, I get that. But it doesn’t suddenly mean that they look good.

Looking Ahead

Seattle enters their bye week sitting pretty at 3-2 and atop the NFC West, their rightful place. An early period of rest will be beneficial to several banged up players, such as Jeremy Lane, CJ Prosise, and Michael Bennett who hurt his foot. This is also a golden opportunity for Seattle make a bold move and trade for a starting caliber left tackle. Despite the win, Seattle’s line still had plenty of holes for defenders to exploit. An extra week would give whomever they trade for a little more time to learn the playbook and develop chemistry with the rest of the line.

After the bye, Seattle takes a trip out east to take on the flailing New York Giants. In the Pete Carroll era the Seahawks are 4-0 at the Meadowlands, including their triumphant Super Bowl XLVIII championship. The last time they played the Giants in New York was in 2013, where Eli Manning threw five interceptions in a 23-0 victory for Seattle. In fact, the Giants have not beat Seattle since 2010. New York is hurting big time right now. Not only have they fallen to 0-5 this season, but against the Chargers they lost their three best receivers and starting running back. Including super star Odell Beckham Jr, who will miss the rest of the season with a fractured ankle. The Giants travel to Denver for a Sunday Night Football matchup next week before returning home to face the Seahawks. Back to back weeks versus the two best defenses in the League without four of your best offensive options? I can’t say I envy Eli right now.