I'm Making My World A Little Bit More Like Schitt's Creek

For those of you who haven't watched Schitt's Creek yet, 1 - what the hell are you waiting for? and 2 - you really should. It's a hilarious six-season show that follows a family who falls from their luxurious and rich lifestyle to a small town with little-to-nothing. The family is comprised of four, Johnny Rose (father), Moira Rose (mother), and their adult children David Rose (son) and Alexis Rose (daughter). Each have an incredibly unique personality and are adapting to living in close quarters instead of their old ways. Enough with the synopsis of the show (just go watch it - I promise it'll become a quick favorite), but instead it's what Schitt's Creek embodies that is what I'm adapting into my life.

Schitt's Creek is accepting. They accept all types of people, relationship types, personalities, ideas, stores, shows, anything you can think of. They do not judge one another but instead accept each other for who they are and even more importantly, support one another. It's a community that gets behind one another, regardless if they think the idea or task at hand is all that sane or not. They just care about one another any making sure that each other are happy. It's a place where any character can be themselves and they are not judged or hated on because of that. They are accepted and supported, and that's the beauty of it.

Schitt's Creek believes in the quality of people over quantity. They are not a big town but they have a big heart. They are a close-knit community who does not care to make themselves bigger for the sake of attracting more visitors. Instead, they care that what they are doing is good for their community and is good for the people around them. David Rose becomes fast friends with Stevie, who works in the motel the Roses find themselves living in. It's an odd friendship but they become best friends and they find along the way that the quality of their friendship and the loyalty they have to each other means more than having a bunch of acquaintances without any depth of friendship. Keeping a smaller circle, whether it be community or friends, but making sure those connections are filled with depth shine through in this series.

Schitt's Creek supports any dream or goal that someone in that town sets and helps them get there. Without giving away any spoilers, this town gets behind the wacky ideas of one another to make them a true success. The characters dream up big goals and aspirations and crush them with the help of this town behind them. Do they work for their successes? Of course. But they have a community and support system, no matter how big, behind them and cheering them on throughout the process. It's not always pretty how they get to their dreams and reach their goals, but they set them, crush them, and celebrate them with those who matter most. That's what it's all about.

Schitt's Creek emulates love. At the end of the day, whether it's the Rose family or a fellow Schitt's Creek resident, someone is there to pick you up when you're down and to love you through the good and the bad. They care about one another. They show each other that life isn't always pretty, it isn't always perfect, that are a lot of ups and downs, but as long as you have people around you who love you, you'll end up happy.

Schitt's Creek might not be for everybody, but it was certainly for me. It taught me so many valuable qualities that I never knew a 30-minute show could have that I want to adapt my life to. It's hilarious, caring, bold, accepting and overall embracing. Schitt's Creek may have aired its series finale recently, but those who love the show will not only help it live on by loving the characters and charm of the little town, but will embrace the lessons it taught us in our day to day lives.