A letter to the girlfriends who want to say "I love you" first

If You're The Girlfriend Thinking About Dropping 'I Love You' First, Do It!

It doesn't matter who loves who first. Love is love.

109
Holding hands with babe

Hey, you. Yes you, you stud muffin. You drop dead gorgeous you. It might be that time in the relationship for you where the three most important words you say to your S.O. may make or break the relationship. Or maybe you're reading this and thinking about it.

You might be apprehensive saying it because you're 1. scared they might not say it back to you 2. might not feel the same way or 3. you want to say it first, but it doesn't follow convention.

If you've had any of these thoughts swirl in your head—it's completely normal. I swear. Honestly, I think if you haven't had any of these thoughts occur, your significant other might not be the one for you or just trying to rush it, so there aren't any complications further down the relationship road.

As you may know me or might be familiar with my writing style, I'm going to be blunt: screw convention. Convention was meant to act as a guideline for people, but as people start to trust their gut, convention tends to take the back burner. For example, girls were always expected to stay home and be housewives for the rest of their lives, but look at us now: we're becoming astrophysicists, political figures, CEOs, engineers, astronauts, and teachers. We're doing the impossible while being more than just a mother.

Unsplash- I love you sign

Yes, saying "I love you" should be something as magical as the movies or more than just sitting on the couch and watching Netflix; but in reality, "I love you" shouldn't have to be a grandiose gesture. The first time I said these words to my boyfriend, we were in the parking lot of my apartment and mentioned this to him as he was about to drive home. He just finished his first final and became super stressed that he failed the class.

Being his ray of sunshine, I assured him that he did not fail (and he didn't btw), but I've had a needle poke inside of me for so long to tell him that I loved him. I just let my gut lead me. I told him.

Heck yeah, I was nervous. No, I wasn't going to throw up, and yes the butterflies never left my stomach. Did he tell me he loved me back? That is something I leave you, my friends.

So please, do yourself a favor and not limit yourself just because of convention or what society expects of you. Taking risks means making yourself vulnerable. Vulnerability is what makes a healthy relationship lead to stronger outcomes.

Giphy- I love you thumbs up