The Roommate Rules

The Roommate Rules

There are a few things you should know before you decide on someone for your roommate, and these rules will save you a lot of time and frustration.

73

I had heard two common roommate stories before I went to college: either a horror story or a tale of best friends. But honestly, that's not a very accurate depiction of most roommate relationships in college. There were a lot of tips I wish I'd listened to when deciding on a roommate, and I want to share them with you so maybe you can choose your ideal roomie.

1. DO NOT ROOM WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND

It's not worth it, it's not worth it, it's not worth it. Roommate decisions can go well, or they can go very, very bad. It isn't worth ruining your friendship because you want to live together. I promise you will have a better time and enjoy each other if you don't room together.

2. Talk to your roommate before move in

I can't tell you how many people I know that have 4 of everything because they didn't communicate before. It saves you so much money when people have things from home that they're bringing. I brought a tv, my roommate brought a fire-stick, and the other girls brought game consoles. We coordinated on most of the stuff for the common spaces and I'm so glad we did because I ended up spending practically nothing on dorm supplies.

3. Choose your roommate based on HABITS AND NOT COMMON INTERESTS

I cannot stress this topic enough. At the end of the day, you're going to like your roommate so much more if you have alike sleeping and study habits, or ones that compliment each other. If you like to wake up early, find someone who does the same so you don't wake them. If you study late at night in the room, maybe find someone who prefers to study outside of it so you can get some time for yourself. Coordinate times and make sure you give your roommate times to enjoy the room for themselves. It sucks when you can never go to your room and have time to unwind without anyone around. That's something that is helpful for staying mentally healthy and I wish I'd been able to do it more my first semester

4. Respect that is is someone else's room, but also recognize you own it too

At the end of the day, you can't be inconsiderate and loud. You can't have people over constantly, and you can't think that you being there doesn't affect them. If you won't be in the room, let your roommate know so they don't worry, or so they can maybe have someone over if you'll be gone. If someone is sleeping, try to be quiet. But don't feel like you can't compromise either. If you prefer to wake up early and your roommate sleeps in, be quiet, but don't think you have to SLEEP IN. You shouldn't have to change your routine, just be respectful in how you enact it.

You will inevitably have good times and bad times. But if you make sure you get everything you prefer and ow you live out in the open before, it will stop awkward situations in the future. Now go forth, and room!