Road To Nowhere

Road To Nowhere

A post apocalyptic short story series about coming of age

25
Road To Nowhere

I was born after the apocalypse. People always spoke of a world I'd never get to see and I grieved for a loss I didn't understand. They talked about the bright colors that were all around, the tall buildings, computers, phones, and airplanes. Everything had always been dull and mostly worn down for as long as I could remember. The polished, well built buildings of the past were now ramshackle sheds and homes that had been rebuilt more than once. Electricity was limited and was unstable. Even the smallest thunderstorm would knock it out. The only thing that seemed to be the same was the grass which was still green and boring.

"Julia!" A gruff voice hollered.

I went to meet my father in the kitchen of our broken down home.

"Yeah, dad?"

"It's your turn to go to the bunker. Cooper requested you."

"Did Coop say why he needed me?" I asked nervously.

"He needs help with a city run."

Coop was our resident mechanic and engineer. He alone could fix the old army jeeps that we used to retrieve resources from the neighboring cities. He was also the one who fixed the generators when the power was out. He even managed to get everyone together to rig up a working front gate and watchtowers so our little community would be closed to outsiders. When Coop needed something, we made sure we delivered even if it meant traveling with him to one of the more dangerous cities.

"Did he say which city?"

"No. He needs you over there by noon today. Bring James and Seth."

"Yes, sir."

"Your sister made beans and toast this morning. Eat up before you go. When your done, let me know and i'll give you our list."

I dished up a plate and sat down across from my father. His hair was almost completely gray now and his eyes had defined wrinkles around them. His beard was black with speckles of gray in it and well kept which helped hide the long scar that I knew ran along the left side of his jaw. His unsettling blue eyes met mine from across the table.

"What?" He asked sternly.

"It's nothing."

"Fine."

I moved my food from one side of my plate to the other as I stared intently at the table. Being the only doctor within thirty miles, my father's time was incredibly important. Often times, he'd already be gone before i'd gotten up to tend to one of his patients. Sometimes he'd be in our makeshift hospital for weeks trying to make sure everyone received the proper care. My sister did her best to help but often times my father was the only one who could help. I watched as he shoveled his breakfast down while pouring over his records.

"Dad, is Benny... do you think Benny is going to be okay?"

His head shot up.

"No one told you."

I stared blankly at him.

"He's fine for now. Arm is broken so he'll be off duty for a while and I did have to perform surgery to fix the stab wound, but he's fine."

I let out a breath that I didn't know I'd been holding. Benny was my patrol partner and had been since we turned ten years old. We'd been attacked on the last patrol by a group of free roamers. Benny had been leading and had gotten the worst of the attack while I had gotten off with only a few stitches in my arm.

"How long until he's back on duty?"

"About a month. Maybe longer depending on how long he takes to heal."

"So I'll be running solo for a month. Alright. I can do that."

My dad shook his head and started chuckling. I arched an eyebrow as I waited for him to explain.

"You've got a new partner until Benny heals."

"I...what? Who?"

"Seth."

"Coop's Seth? The same Seth that knocked out two of my teeth a few weeks ago because i'm a better shot than him?"

"The very one."

"You've got to be kidding me."

I scuffed my boot on the ground in frustration and turned to face my father.

"Is this why he's going on the city run with me? Man, Coop has a sick sense of humor these days."

"Seth requested it. Cooper was reluctant and came to me considering the history you two have. He wanted to know if I was prepared to reset any bones that came from you two being paired together."

"Dad, it was only twice and he deserved it both times."

"Regardless, try not to fracture any bones in the first week."

"What about?" I started.

"No. Absolutely no knocking out anymore of his teeth." My dad interjected.

"It seems only fair. He knocked out mine."

"You'll knock out more than two if I give you permission."

"Fine. No breaking bones, no knocking out teeth. Anything else?"

"No bloody noses and try to be nice. You two are the examples for the others. Cooper and I run this place. We can't have our children constantly at each others throats."

"I'll do my best but I make no promises. If he starts something..."

"You'll finish it. I know."

He handed me a list and smiled gently at me.

"Be safe Julie-Bug."

"Always am."