There Is No Place Like Home

There Is No Place Like Home

A review of the things I missed.
70

Being back in Puerto Rico after an entire semester abroad has felt completely surreal. It’s like the one place with the things and people you so desperately missed is finally at your reach. At the beginning of the program, I wrote an article about the things that I missed. Now, that I am back home, here are my thoughts on the things I missed and how it feels now that I have them back.

1. My family and friends

I AM SO HAPPY! I finally get to see the people I love and be able to spend some quality time with them that does not involve looking at them through a phone screen. (I love you, guys! Thanks for not forgetting about me)

2. My bed

Oh. My. God. I didn’t realize how much I truly missed my bed until I finally able to lie in it for the first time in four months. I have realized that my bed has a spell that makes me pass out the minute I touch it. I fall asleep almost instantly and it is everything I could’ve asked for.

3. The weather

Although lately, it has been really cloudy and sometimes raining (London, much?) the warmth of my island has been pretty comforting. It’s definitely a warm hug compared to the cold weather of the UK.

4. The food

My favorite place to get mofongo with "carne frita" is closed until further notice. When I found out about this, I had an existential crisis and lowkey cried on my way back home thinking that life had no meaning. That is how passionate I am about Puerto Rican food. I do not think I have to explain how happy I am to finally eat the food of the gods.

5. The culture

The only way to explain it: I’m home!

Home is where the heart is and my heart lies in an island that is 100 by 35 miles. I hope, wherever home is, there is a list of things that remind you of it and lies close to your heart.