A Restaurant Guide to the Greater Pittsburgh Area

My favorite four-letter F-word is "food".

17
Travel and Leisure

We all know about places such as Olive Garden and McDonald's (if you even consider that food), but what about the unsung heroes of the Greater Pittsburgh Area? If you're anything like me, you're always indecisive and fail to acknowledge anything except for chains when choosing a place to grab a bite, so hopefully, this guide will help to slightly expand your horizons while visiting Pittsburgh and the surrounding area.

A few notes before I begin...

I included hyperlinks to the restaurants' respected webpages. If you click on their name next to their listed number, it'll take you right to their site for more information about their establishments.

And, lastly, this isn't a ranking list. For example, number 1 isn't necessarily my favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh. This is simply a list of restaurants that everyone should try at some point or another.

So, without further ado...

1. Angelo's Pizzeria

I know the outside of the establishment leaves a lot to be desired (the inside is the same way), but trust me when I say their pizza is worth the lackluster atmosphere. The only other thing that you have to worry about is parallel parking in Bloomfield, but you shouldn't let that stop you from trying this place either.

Their pepperoni is the type of pepperoni that curls-on-end when it's cooked and collects a pool of grease, and their white pizza--unlike so many others--features fresh ricotta and loads of garlic. I've eaten a lot of pizza in my twenty-one years, but this place remains my favorite.

Another note: if you're not in the mood for pizza, they also serve hoagies and other items. Their vegetarian hoagie (from what my mom tells me) is very good.

2. The Church Brew Works

If you know anything about being a "yinzer," you know that alcohol plays a big part of it; and where better to drink beer than in an old church where it's brewed right on the altar? This historical landmark eatery has received numerous awards for their brews. Continuing with the church theme, some of the tables have pew benches as the seats.

If you're Roman Catholic, don't worry. The building itself was deconsecrated by the Diocese of Pittsburgh in 1993.

As far as their food is concerned, they have an extensive menu of specialty pizzas cooked in ovens in the front of the church as well as other items ranging from mussels to pierogies (which are another Pittsburgh staple).

3. Peppi's

Now, for clarification, there are four different locations for Peppi's; however, if you're gonna go, you almost have to go to the one in the Strip District. Half of the fun of going is fighting for a table and, in the meantime, fighting for standing-room-only space particularly on the weekends.

But, that's not the only reason why their Strip location is the place to be. You can't beat the Pittsburgh culture in the Strip, and while you're walking from one of the various lots in the area, you get to pass by street vendors and shops that remind you why "Pixburgh" is the best city in the US.

As far as their food is concerned, their subs are to die for. No, really, you can feel your arteries clogging with every bite, but it's so worth it. Make sure to grab a stack of napkins because it's a messy ride.

4. Tessaro's

This restaurant is an American bar and hardwood grill, and as such, meat is their specialty. Their menu has an extensive list of proteins prepared in various ways: hamburger or steak or chicken on salads, half-pound burgers, kabobs, racks of ribs, filets, etc.

Their burgers in particular are famous in town. Yes, you can get a regular hamburger or cheeseburger, but they also have more adventurous ones such as the cajun burger. They ground the beef in-house and, then, throw it on their famous hardwood grill. Just think of the grease sizzling on the grill top. Think of the cheese melting over the sides of the burger.

Yeah, I bet you want a hometown burger now. I know I do.

5. Pamela's Diner

Much like Peppi's, this restaurant also has multiple locations (in this case, there's a diner in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, the Strip District, Millvale, Oakland, and Mt. Lebanon). However, if you want help in choosing one, the original opened in 1979 in Squirrel Hill.

More history: during the 2008 United States presidential campaign, Barack Obama visited Pamela's while in Pittsburgh. After he took office, President Obama enjoyed the diner so much he invited the owners to the White House for a Memorial Day breakfast.

So, if you're looking for breakfast foods, this is the place to go, since they are known for their crepe-style pancakes, omelets, and lyonnaise potatoes. But, you have to make sure to be there early as none of their locations are open any later than 4pm! Brief disclaimer: they're a cash-only establishment.

6. Vincent's of Green Tree

I'm certain almost anyone who has ever driven into Pittsburgh knows what a hassle traffic can be on Green Tree Hill heading towards the Fort Pitt Tunnel.

Well, next time you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, why don't you exit at Green Tree, check this place out, and wait for the traffic to subside? Not only do they have fantastic pizza (I hope you are noticing I have a certain affinity for pizza) but they also have fantastic sandwiches, pastas, and salads.

And, let me tell you how phenomenal their zeppoli is... Imagine light dough (and a looooot of it) drizzled with honey and powdered sugar. Tell me your mouth isn't watering right now.

7. Harris Grill

Do you like beer and cocktails? Do you like bacon? Do you have a big appetite? If so, this is the place for you.

Harris Grill in Shadyside has happy hour from 4:30pm to 6:30pm Monday thru Friday, "Winey Wednesdays" where glasses are $6 until midnight, and Service Industry Night every Sunday where you can get drafts and well drinks a dollar off and BOGO appetizers 6pm-midnight.

Not only do a lot of their menu items feature bacon, but Tuesday is bacon night! They serve baskets of bacon for $1 and free bacon at the bar.

8. Kelly O's

Along with Pamela's Diner listed earlier, Kelly O's is another Pittsburgh favorite for breakfast foods. And much like Pamela's, Kelly O's also has multiple locations (in the Strip District and North Hills). Standard operating hours last until 3pm for both locations, so make sure you're ready-to-go early.

This diner was featured on the Food Network's Diner's, Drive-Ins, and Dives hosted by my fraternity brother, Guy Fieri.

If it helps to persuade you to try this establishment, their phone number is "412-232-EGGS". Breakfast is very important to them, and it shows.

9. Alexander's

Since I'm Italian, you can bet I was going to include an excellent Italian restaurant on this list. This Italian bistro is right in the heart of Little Italy in Bloomfield (down the street from both Tessaro's and Angelo's).

More on Alexander's: not only do they have "create your own pasta" dishes but they also have other favorites such as eggplant parmesan and fresh fish and seafood. Additionally, their wedding soup and house dressing are quite tasty. And, all of their desserts are homemade recipes, dating back generations.

The food here reminds you of the stuff your grandmothers used to make. Definitely worth a try.

10. Bloomfield Bridge Tavern

The final shoutout on this list goes to the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern (Bloomfield is notorious for having great food--if you couldn't tell).

If you didn't see the Polish flag on the featured photo, allow me to point it out to you. The BBT is known for their award-winning Polish food, including but not limited to the following: haluski, kluski, kielbasa, and pierogi. Polish food has deep roots in the Pittsburgh area (and in my family's kitchen), so this place is a must-try.

Along with their specialties, their stage has hosted local and touring bands for 27 years. So, along with your food and drinks, you can enjoy some musical entertainment as well.