Black-Owned Restaurants In Chicago To Support

These Are The Black-Owned Restaurants In Chicago You Should Absolutely Be Supporting

Support the movement and your appetite at the same time with these amazing spots.

1692

The Black Lives Matter movement is taking the country by storm to crash down systematic racism and liberate people of color. However, during these changing it can be hard to determine what you can do to make an impact besides reposting Instagram stories and texting petition numbers. Instead, support Black-owned businesses or, more specifically, Black-owned restaurants. Here are some outstanding and underrated Black-owned restaurants in Chicago that can help you support the movement.

Batter and Berries

Batter and Berries

A small shop tucked away on N Lincoln Ave still manages to catch the eye against the spanning brick storefronts with their signature banana yellow awning and purple writing that says "Batter & Berries" to match the front door. The breakfast/brunch spot owners Dr. Tanya and Craig Richardson are committed to using the freshest ingredients possible intermixing the warmness of southern comfort food.

Their infamous french toasts flights take away the struggle of trying to choose just one thing by giving samples of each flavor (strawberry, blueberry, lemon, caramel). Customers have come from across the United States and even internationally to taste their signature french toast flights and other amazing dishes. This will be the new brunch place you never knew you needed but now can never live without.

Can’t Believe its Not Meat

Calling all vegans and vegetarians to 1368 E 53rd St! This plant-based restaurant in Hyde Park is serving American classics that could fool any meat lover.

Owner, Laricia Chandler, designed a menu that takes staples from around the country like "Hold up! Wait a Min!" Philly cheesesteak, "Chicago St." Hot Dog, and "Lil Italy" Lasagna and revamps them to fit any dietary restrictions or preferences.

Vegan and vegetarians can rediscover the meals they once loved and meat-eaters can be introduced to the world of vegan food that goes beyond tofu and salads. Everyone will leave this place feeling happy, full, and satisfied.

Truth Italian Restaurant

Located in the center of Bronzeville, Truth brings Chicagoans authentic Italian cuisine for everyone to enjoy with a modern flare. The menu is slightly reserved compared to other bistros because each dish was extensively tested by the owner, Peyton Willborn, head chef, Chef Larry, and acclaimed critics to ensure the best quality product for customers.

They have intimate indoor seating perfect for special events or date nights and an outstanding outdoor patio for when the weather is just too good to stay inside. Dishes include bruschetta, steak marsala, fresh crab cakes and marinated lamb chops. Truth even offers a daily breakfast/brunch menu from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. including french toast flights and a wide variety of waffles and omelets.

The Delta

The Delta

An ode to the Mississippi Delta region, a once-prominent hub for cotton production and cultural center for Italian, Chinese, and African cuisine, owner, Eldridge Williams, aims to recreate that environment with their food and cocktails.

Their Wicker Park location boasts worn in wooden tables and old southern details which makes one feel like they are sitting in a grandmother's porch in the mid-summer heat.

The menu is far from ordinary with an assortment of fresh tamales, southern hush puppies, Asian bao buns, and fried green tomatoes. The Delta offers brunch on the weekends and has special happy hour and late-night menus.

Soule

Soule Chciago

This West Town boutique restaurant has masted the art of Creole-inspired soul food that fills your heart as much as your belly. Owner, Bridgette Flagg, wanted dishes inspired by Creole and southern cuisines and flavors that brought the community together.

She wants her restaurant to be a place with comfort food that brings together friends and family. The restaurant has been a favorite sport for many since its beginnings in 2017 and has even opened its doors to many celebrities over the years. Their menu is full of classic southern dishes like a catfish po'boy, jerk shrimp, fried chicken and grits.