Rest in Peace Yordano “Ace” Ventura, 1991-2017

A letter to Kansas City, the Royals and our Ace.

8
The Huffington Post

Dear Kansas City,

We lost part of our heart and soul. One of our beloved Royals players, Yordano Ventura, was tragically killed. Sunday was a tough day and it’s not getting better anytime soon. We’ve started a huge memorial for our boy. The candlelight vigil on Sunday night was beautiful, but it doesn’t change that our Ace is gone forever.

It seems like an irreparable hole. If you’ve lived in Kansas City for even just a couple of years, you understand the Royals breathed new life back into our forgotten fly-over town. They turned our city blue and made us remember why we loved baseball again. They brought thousands of us together day after day, turned strangers into friends and the boys in blue felt like our family.

That didn’t happen without Ace. We all remember where we were during Game 6 of the 2014 World Series. That was his moment. The game the rest of the world recognized who our boy was. They saw the fight, strength and fire that came from within him. At only 23, his tribute to Oscar Taveras landed his hat from that game in Cooperstown and his performance that game landed him a spot in the ranks of Major League Baseball’s most talented pitchers.

Sure, our boy was chippy. He got himself into some trouble in 2015 chirping at Adam Eaton and Mike Trout. Unfortunately, that’s what many people will remember him for. But we knew what really drove him to play like he did. His fire, passion and drive to be the greatest. He wanted to make our city proud. He wanted to make every single one of us proud. He wanted us to remember him as one of the greatest we’ve ever seen.

And we will.

To the Royals front office, we’re so sorry for your loss. The whole city is hurting and in mourning but many of you were lucky enough to truly get to know Ace. We can’t pretend to know what you’re feeling or going through. You’ve lost a member of the Royals family and we know he will never be erased from your hearts. His impact on the organization reached beyond the clubhouse and through those glass doors to each of you. Stay strong, we’re here for you. You’ve done an amazing job allowing us to mourn, but take time for yourselves, too. We understand this season will be different now and each of us will stay alongside you every step of the way.

To the Royals players, words cannot tell you how sorry we are. Each of you lost a brother. Some of you grew up with Ace in the minor league system and have known him for years. We can’t imagine the pain you must be feeling to know his playful, mischievous smile will never walk through those clubhouse doors again. The hole you have thinking you’ll never get to play behind him or catch for him again. We saw the pain on Christian Colon’s face at the candlelight vigil. It gave us a small window into the emptiness this loss has put into your hearts and the team. If we could help, we would, but no actions can fix this. Just know we’re here to pick you up and stay with you during what is sure to be a tough season for each of you in your own way. But we know he’ll be with each of you every game and you’ll make him proud.

And to our Ace, we miss you. You were so talented and misunderstood. But we knew you. We knew each time you stepped on the mound you were giving it your all. You were striving to have your name etched in the minds of not just Royals fans, but fans of baseball everywhere as one of the greats. We knew you’d do anything for your brothers on and off the field. That you wanted perfection from yourself. You worked every single day to improve physically and mentally. The passion you had for the game is something we can all learn from. You cared so much for your fellow players and showed it through your tributes to Taveras and Fernandez. You made us proud and we will never forget you. Thank for the games, the smiles, the memories.

Rest in Peace Yordano “Ace” Ventura, 1991-2017.